Author Topic: O.K, which wine cooler?  (Read 11594 times)

EllieThomas

O.K, which wine cooler?
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »

First post here.  I have read until my eyeballs are blurry!  ;D  If I am reading right, a wine cooler is better than a dorm fridge because it will hold the temperature for cheese.  It appears that I have to do something about humidity.

Which wine cooler is best for this and do any of them control the humidity too?

I know there are many posts on this, but I haven't seen one that might give the info about temp and humidity in one fridge.
Thanks very much,
Ellie

Cheese Head

Re: O.K, which wine cooler?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
None control humidity that I know of, it's easier to add humidity than remove, so fridges with radient cooling vs compressor and dehydrated air style are tough to keep humidity down. My only vote is without wavy for wine bottle racks.

EllieThomas

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:14:15 AM »
Thanks. Anyone have a brand that has performed well?  Are the dual temps desirable   

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »
I had a dual temp and liked that feature but the fridge died in less than a year. It was an Edge Star 18 bottle. I don't recommend it. The carcass did make a nice sausage curing chamber though ...

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
When I started in cheesemaking I was using a Danby wine refrigerator as a cave. As many have already posted they are very hard to control the humidity. I was only semi-succesful with it in terms of humidity. Mine had a dual temperature control also but I found that it was not a benefit when used for a cheese cave. I don't use it as a cave anymore-now it houses my collection of DogFish Head!

Delislem

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
Hi Ellie,

I am using the method described here http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,6227.msg56407 with great success. Dorm fridge with an external temp and humidity controller, aquarium pum and humidity producing device for lizard vivarium.

Helen

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
I like my vinotemp. If you have one in your area, Costco has a couple of models at unbeatable price.

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
Don't write off dorm sized fridges.  I have a GE model with NO freezer compartment.  I don't need an external thermostat because it easily stays in the 50-55 degree range without being set dead at the bottom of the warmest setting.  It stays nicely humid in there, too.  Sorry, I don't know the exact model number.  I got it for just over $100 at Sam's Club.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »
I have an old dorm fridge with no freezer in the basement that is just about perfect too and I believe it is a also a GE. I also have a "cube" electronic" that sit on my microwave for the first few months of curing until bag time that works greatbut does require a therm adaptor. Neither are wine fridges though.

Caseus

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
This is a case where I'd like to use the Quote function to encapsulate an earlier post, but I'll refrain since forum etiquette discourages it.

Question for zenith1 or other Danby users.  Aside from humidity control, were there any negative qualities of the Danby wine coolers that you noted?  I am considering one because it is inexpensive, has flat (not scalloped) removable shelves, a small footprint for the model I'm considering, and has a compressor rather than thermoelectric cooling. 

The model I have in mind is Danby DWC350BLPA 35-Bottle Wine Cooler

zenith1

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
aside from the humidity issue,no. Well, of course the size was too small after diving in all the way.

Caseus

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »
Thank you, zenith1.  Yes, I would like to have a 15 to 19 cubic foot cheese cave too, but my small house is so full already that I am forced for now to limit myself to a small form factor.   

I'm also considering a Danby DAR440BL 4.4-Cu.Ft. refrigerator.  It's just a refrigerator with no freezer.  They are being discontinued, so they won't be around for long.  The price is about the same or even less than the Danby 35 bottle wine cellar, if you shop carefully.  A temperature controller like the RANCO ETC-111000 or a Johnson Controls unit would be needed to regulate the temperature.  It should be capable of more precise temperature control as compared to the wine cellar. 

Some complaints I've read about the Danby wine cellar involved 10 degree temperature differential from top to bottom (with the top being warmer) and excessively cold temperatures (low 30's) that could not be corrected.

Humidity control will be a challenge no matter which route I go.  I'll avoid that for now by waxing.

Chris K

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
Even the best wine fridges have temps that vary by a few degrees. If you want spot-on accuracy, as mentioned above you'd need a more exacting regulator of some kind.

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
Caseus,
Some complaints I've read about the Danby wine cellar involved 10 degree temperature differential from top to bottom (with the top being warmer) and excessively cold temperatures (low 30's) that could not be corrected.
That happen too in normal fridge, if there is not fan cooler.
But you can put 200mm computer fan in your wine cooler to circulate air.

Hande

Caseus

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
I wired in a fan to circulate air in my keezer (chest freezer outfitted for beer), and I can easily do the same in my cave, if need be.  I am pretty much settled on the Danby DAR440BL plus Ranco (plus PC fan), unless I find something better before I place my order. 

I checked Craig's list and there were a number of used wine cellars for sale, but none that met my space and price criteria.