Author Topic: Making cheese right now!  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Making cheese right now!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
I saw the same episode but they could have been referring to the actual air pressure of 55.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 12:23:53 AM »
Here are some pics of my cheddar, nothing too exciting.

wharris

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 02:37:21 AM »
how much milk?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 04:11:41 AM »
This was a 2 gallon batch but I'm done with 2 gallong batches. I was just doing it to make sure all the equpiment I made was working the way it should.

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 03:14:30 AM »
Okay, this is an old post.....I realize this......
But......
Is this REALLY a post by Carter using ONLY two gallons of milk AND a FOUR INCH MOLD?????
I'd started to believe that he came out of the womb, making at the very minimum 10 gallon batches of cheese!
I'm shocked. I don't know what else to say.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 03:30:27 AM »
RFLMAO, sadly I only used this setup for 2 batches, one two gallon batch and one 5 gallon batch, after that it was the big league. I'm going to sell this setup though as I don't need it. I was waiting to see if moving up to the big league was going to turn out alright. I will post in the for sale section.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 04:57:26 AM »
An update to this little runt of the liter, at least for me. A 2 pounder...LOL I left it in a frig in the garage with the power off as it's been cold. We've had some heat so not cold all the time, but the shop never gets that warm this time of year.

Just to remind you I wrapped this in a cheese cloth bandage smeared with lard. The lard, from what I've read, was supposed to inhibit mold growth, well it might have worked see the pics below before reading on.

My question is what should I do, in my opinion is looks beautiful, I don't know why it just does. There is definately some penicilium roquefoti and Penicillum Candidum on it. The bamboo mat it was resting on was covered with blue mold I could have scraped off more than comes in a pack for $30. When I pulled the cheese off it mold dust flew into the air everywhere, thank god it was outsideish.

So I'm definately not tossing it, I love the way it looks, but my question of what should I do is geared toward should I keep it in this vacuum container with all the air sucked out? Should I put it in a bigger container with a humidity pack? I HAVE to keep it in some container so it doesn't contaminate everything and it's be in my cave.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 05:37:24 AM »
An update to this little runt of the liter, at least for me. A 2 pounder...LOL I left it in a frig in the garage with the power off as it's been cold. We've had some heat so not cold all the time, but the shop never gets that warm this time of year.

Just to remind you I wrapped this in a cheese cloth bandage smeared with lard. The lard, from what I've read, was supposed to inhibit mold growth, well it might have worked see the pics below before reading on.

My question is what should I do, in my opinion is looks beautiful, I don't know why it just does. There is definately some penicilium roquefoti and Penicillum Candidum on it. The bamboo mat it was resting on was covered with blue mold I could have scraped off more than comes in a pack for $30. When I pulled the cheese off it mold dust flew into the air everywhere, thank god it was outsideish.

So I'm definately not tossing it, I love the way it looks, but my question of what should I do is geared toward should I keep it in this vacuum container with all the air sucked out? Should I put it in a bigger container with a humidity pack? I HAVE to keep it in some container so it doesn't contaminate everything and it's be in my cave.

THIS was CHEDDAR?

Er... Ok, it looks beautiful to you... but are you sure it's edible?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
No, it is cheddar  ;D. Of course it's edible, under all the crap is cheese. LOL

narelle

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 04:46:15 AM »
be careful how long you let it age. i did a cheddar wrapped and smeared with butter i let it age in a container standing on a rack with water underneath for 12 months and when i cut it it had dried out completely and the mold had gone right through the cheese. if i did it again i would only age it for maybe 6 months :-\

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 05:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the adivce. I was wondering if I should add some humidity to it or that would make the mold grow even more?

Tea

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Well for one, I would say that your lard wasn't completely pure, or rendered properly, and two, that looks gross Carter.  You seriously can't be intending to eat that thing.   :o

For an experiement it would be interesting to treat half with a brine wash, and maybe scrape the other half and redo the lard treatment, and see what happens.
Just my thoughts anyway, for what there're worth.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
For one it wasn't keep in a cold environment, so I'm sure mold can grow on anything in that situation. I'll eat it once I wash of the outside and cut it open. I'll post pics in 6 months.