Author Topic: Colby Making with Raw milk  (Read 1156 times)

adalton

Colby Making with Raw milk
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:46:03 PM »
I have 2 gallons of raw milk to make Colby with, but wanted to eat this cheese within a month.  What would be the best way to pasteurize this on the stove?

Andy

zenith1

Re: Colby Making with Raw milk
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »
Andy- are you concerned with the milk's safety or is there another reason that you want to eat this cheese in a month? If there is a question in your mind about the quality of the milk then you need to forget about the "60 day" law. That applies only to the sale of raw milk  and it's products. I wouldn't use the milk if there is a question in your mind. If you really need to eat this cheese in one month I think that you would be better off making another type of cheese that will be good in that time frame.

adalton

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
I don't really have a question concerning the safety of the milk.  I thought the 60 day rule was just to make sure if there was potentially any harmful microorganisms that it would destroy them through aging, No?  I have two 2 and half year olds that love Colby and just thought if I was going to feed them this cheese I would pasteurize it to be extra safe.  Also, I didn't think Colby aged very well, I cut into a wheel that was made a month ago and it tastes fantastic, just doesn't look the prettiest.

Andy

anarch

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:31 AM »
I guess it depends on your risk factor that you want to take?  My 3 and almost 2 yr olds drink raw milk so I'm cool with it. 

Anyways, if you want to pasturize it, heat it to 145F.  Hold at that temp, covered for 1hr.   Then make cheese.  I do this sometimes, works well.

I don't think I would drink raw milk from a commercial source, but mine is from my neighbour with 2 cows, I've helped her milk, she tests all the time and has impeccable cleanliness.

Even aging 1 month, I wouldn't worry.

If, however your kids are immune suppressed at all, I would pasturize.

adalton

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:51:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

The farmer I get the milk from claims she tests her milk all the time too because she makes cheese to sell at farmer's markets.  When I pick the milk up from her I have to supply my own jugs (1 gallon glass Is what I bought).  My personal procedure is I wash the jugs out with soap and water after each use, then before I get the milk I fill the jugs 1/2 full of luke warm water and add a sanitizer tablet that is good for 1 gallon.  Once the tablet is dissolved I fill the jug 3/4 full of water, shake vigorously and double rinse with cold water.  I pick up the milk, bring it home and immediately put it in my refrigerator until use which is within a day or two.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to use 2 of the gallons until tomorrow which is 5 days since the cows were milked which raised my question in the first place.  Sorry, I was just under the impression that cheese made with raw milk should be aged for 60 days to be safe for consumption, sometimes I read what I want to hear,

Andy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:02:07 AM by Cheesemkr »

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
With the milk being that old, you may want to just use it for making yogurt, American Neufchatel, or some other soft cheese.  The acidity of it may be too high to make a good Colby.