Author Topic: Hi from Vancouver  (Read 857 times)

Red

Hi from Vancouver
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:08:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all that I've learned already from this forum!

I'm not sure how I got started on this cheese making thing, other than the fact that my wife is crazy about cheddar and parmigiano reggiano. I've had the good fortune to travel in France, Switzerland, Italy and germany, tasting amazing cheeses along the way. I'm amazed to have found some posts about tete-de-moine, which was an incredible cheese I had in the Alsace region in France.

I've only made the queso blanco from Rikki Carrol's book, which was delightful in a curry. I was very encouraged when my wife asked "so when are you making cheddar?"

No luck finding wax locally, so I'll order some from glengarry or maybe try oiling...

I'm going to try using an Ikea cutlery drying cup as a mold, as i saw another poster do. Not ideal, but I want to stay with stainless steel and within my budget.

I'll post with pictures of my first try when I find the time to make it....

anarch

Re: Hi from Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:27:10 AM »
Welcome!  I love vancouver, some mighty fine cheese shops there too ;).

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »
Welcome Red, I grew up in North Van, aging small cheeses it tough but you do learn that way, I've never waxed, many here try and don't like it so go to oiling for semi sealing or vacuum bagging. Have fun on your adventure!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
Welcome aboard Red!