Author Topic: My 5th Butterkase  (Read 9912 times)

JeffHamm

My 5th Butterkase
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Hi,

Well, I decided to have another go at this one.  I've left out the b.linens that I added last time because I want to see what the LH does by itself, flavour and texture wise.  I have noticed that both times I've added LH to this make, the floc time is much quicker than for other cheeses.  I suspect it must be increasing the acidity or something because I usually get flocs in the 12 minute range.  Anyway, I skipped the 20 minute soak in water as it was getting late and time for bed.

The curds were looking really good, but shattered when I went to stir them.  The curds from this milk are usually soft and can break up easily when I stirr, but they don't usually shatter right away.  The whey was very cloudy as a result, of course.  I'm wondering if the quick floc could have anything to do with that? 

In the morning, the cheese was 1266g, 15.5 cm diameter and 5.6 cm height, for a density of 1.20g/cm3.  Which is similar to 3 of the other butterkase I've made.  Will see how it turns out in a month or so.

- Jeff

Butterkase : Saturday, March 3, 2012 (sunny, med Pressure; warm ~24 C)
10L homebrand standard milk
½  tsp CaCl (50% solution)
0.6 ml microbial rennet IMCU 750 (next make go with 0.5; 8 min flocs twice now with 0.6)
1 ice cubes Flora Danica, 1 ice cube buttermilk (meso) 1  ice cube ST B01 (Thermo) 1/16 tsp LH
Start time: 12:30
1)   Warm to 35 C (hit 35 at 12:55; continued to climb to 35.6 C)
2)   Added LH when milk was at 31 C (to rehydrate).
3)   Add 2 ice cubes Meso (1 FD & 1 BMlk) and 1 ice cube thermo (12:56 – cooled to 35.5 C)
4)   Ripen 40 minutes (target time 1:35 actual time 1:35; Temp:  34.8 C at end)
5)   Start raising temperature to 40 C at 1:35
6)   Add ½ tsp CaCl in egg cup water (1:47; temp 40.0 C)
7)   Reached at 40 C at 1:47actual temp: 40.2 C)
8)   Add 0.6 ml rennet in egg cup water (1:39:00) (floc was 8m 30 sec last time)
9)   Floc time = 1:57:30 8m 30s  3.5 * floc = 29m 45s min until cut  (must be the warmer temp or the LH increasing acidity and floc much faster than typical)
10)   Cut at 2:18:45 into 3 cm cubes wait 5 min (start 2:19-2:24) then cut into 1 cm cubes (good curd 39.3 C)
11)   Curds settle 15 minutes (start 2:32-2:47 min), then remove approx 3 1/3 litres of whey (1/3 orig. volume of milk; extended time to allow more whey expulsion; curd shatter)
12)   Slowly add 60 0C water until you reach 42 0C (over 5-15 minutes or so 3:00 – 3:13 42.2 C)
13)   stir 45 minutes (start time: 3:13 – until 3:58)
14)   drain and move to mould
15)   press lightly (20 kg; 6.25” cm mould; 1.43 PSI) 6 hours (start time: 4:30 – pressed in pot in sink of 40 C water 60 min)
16)   flipped/redress at 5:30 (knit looks good, room for improvement)
17)   flipped/redress 6:30 (knit looks very good.  One or two small imperfections, will be good)
18)   Finish Press Time 11:30 pm 
19)   20 minutes water (??:??-??:??) (skipped this step)
Brine at 1 hour per inch height (saturated) = 6 hours - 11:30-5:15 am; weight after brine: 1266g; dimensions 15.5cm x 5.6cm = 1056cm3 = 1.20g/cm3

anutcanfly

Re: My 5th Butterkase
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:15:51 PM »
I've wondered about that myself.  I was thinking that I might be misreading the floating bowl and thus cutting to soon while they were still too fragile?  Then again, I might just be too rough and lousy at cutting curds!  ::)

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Hi anut,

I usually err on the side of caution with flocs though.  Typically the bowl is still pretty free floating at 8 minutes, so with it reaching "floc criterion" something definately is different about this make.  I'm assuming it's the LH rather than the higher temps (I mostly make meso cheeses) because I don't get these quick flocs with the montasio's that I've made. 

One thing, all my starter is done up as mother cultures which I then freeze to ice cubes.  The LH is the only one I add from the packet directly.  I'm using 1/2 the recommended amount on the packet as well. 

Next time I make this I'll back off on the rennet and see what happens.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Yes, it that seems like a good possibility.  This is where the pH meter you don't have would have come in handy!  ;)

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
Jeff, your butterkase looks just great  :)
PH meter :  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTECH-PH100-ExStik-pH-Meter-/260836056268
Those are handy also when you make primer culture.

Hande

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:20:42 AM »
Thanks!  I really must look into getting a pH metre.  Thanks for the e-bay link Hande.  I'm hoping to find something here in NZ.  I'll have to start doing a proper search.

- Jeff

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:24:27 AM »
Jeff, your butterkase looks great !!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:45:31 AM »
Jeff this one looks pretty close don't give up in it now and don't let it dry out I think you'll be happy with it.

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »
Thanks!  It's in the cave now, and still looking good.  I'll probably give it a try after about a month, but I think my Lancashire will be ready then so I may put this off tasting until the Lanc is eaten up.  I know this one can be aged out a bit, which tends to move the flavour up and out of the mild zone, but in a good way.  The soak in fresh water helps to wash off external lactic acid, and would aid the creation of a mild cheese (I figure anyway), but it was getting late and I didn't have any nonchlorinated water.  Still, I'm pretty happy with this.  If this still needs tweaks, it might be that a 2nd curd wash could be performed.  Might try two washings next time I make it.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Your Butterkase looks and sounds irresistible!  Maybe the word butter in the name is what gets me going?  :P

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »
Hi anut,

Yes, that's what got me interested in trying it as well.  :)  It's supposed to be a mild cheese, very good for sandwiches or snacks, etc.  It should end up being a really good melting cheese as well, so great for grilled cheese.  The make is one I've put together by trying to blend a number of different protocols that people have posted over the years.  It produces quite a nice cheese.   The LH is a new addition that I'm trying out (made one before with it, but also added a b.linens wash, so this time I want to see what the LH alone will do).  If you can make gouda, you can make this too. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »
Sounds like by the time you're done you will have created your own cheese and should rename it accordingly!  :)

dthelmers

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
Looking real good, Jeff. Coincidentally, I also made a butterkase this weekend, using the recipe from 200 EHMCR, which calls for a thermophilic culture. I was using it as the base for a cheese with sazon seasoning, which my daughters love, and added  a lot of chipotle peppers.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
I like a nice mix of sweet red peppers and jalapenos but them I like peppers in anything!

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:45 AM »
Hi,

Well, I cut into this one today (40 days).  The paste is very moist and creamy.  You can see how the middle came away when I cut into it because it stuck to the knife due to creaminess!  It has a very clean and mild flavour, bordering on bland actually.  As it warms up the flavour is becomming more detectable, but certainly when cold it is not optimal.  It's very flexible, and I think I see some eyes (as in gas bubbles) amongst the mechanical openings.  I think this has turned out spot on as this is supposed to be a very mild cheese.  No b.linens have contaminated this one.  Nice. I'm quite pleased with this outcome.  I think it might be interesting to see how this one ages out.

- Jeff