Author Topic: use of b-linnens during innoculation phase  (Read 5447 times)

FRANCOIS

Re: use of b-linnens during innoculation phase
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
I am involved in the cheese industry in another country.  Not all of my posts are applicable to home, hobbyists or even small scale makers.  I deal in vats from 650 to 2700 gallons at work, so we can't focus on a few cheeses and caring for them like you can at home.  I am concerned with making an entire vat as consistent as possible as often as possible.  It's a struggle to keep our quality up to the levels of someone who milks their own animals, makes cheese from it and then can monitor it's progress closely. 

Recently at cheese judging I had some of my own cheeses come across my table and I was very hard on them.  I gave out only one first place and it was to a small farm that milks their own goats and makes small vats of cheese.  What set it apart was the milk.  You could taste how absolutely clean, fresh and sweet it was.  The cheese was so perfectly presented, the care and attention to detail was obvious.  My cheeses were, well industrial looking and tasting.

Good luck on your venture.  I had my own small farmstead operation once and it can be rewarding, but it's also a lot of work and I didn't handle the stress of it very well. 

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
Thanks Francois, I can certainly understand the scope of your responsibility.  I live a couple of miles south of the Tsopani factory in Johnstown NY where they manufacture yogurt and feta.  I took a tour a couple of weeks ago and witnessed thousands of gallons of milk being processed, and wondered about uniformity and consistency to ensure a quality final product.  I guess that's where your talent comes into play.  That's some responsibility.  As far as stress, on my farm, I worked in Manhattan for a number of years, and the microdairy business is actually relaxing.
Thanks again, and best regards.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
I wanted to add that there is another culture within PLA that provides color to your cheese:

Arthrobacter nicotianae

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
Nice Boofer. I have been busy with sausages and not keeping up on my cheese - where did you find that link please?

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
That is very interesting, I was even playing with the idea of contacting the manufacturer to inquire about it. Thanks

FRANCOIS

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
I think I've posted these before...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
I think I've posted these before...
Beat me to it. Thanks.

I already had it stored away in my Cheese/cultures folder but here's where I stumbled across it for this posting.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »
I have a commercial Danisco account so if anyone needs any data or technical sheets just drop me a PM and I can pull them for you.  There's qite a bit of technical documentation on there as well.  Like this for example.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
Thanks Francois and Boofer. Sorry must have missed your eariler post Francois.

Hey! There's a link the the Cheese forum but it doesn't work!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
I have a commercial Danisco account so if anyone needs any data or technical sheets just drop me a PM and I can pull them for you.  There's qite a bit of technical documentation on there as well.  Like this for example.
Nice chart, but without some explanation for what it displays it fails a bit to increase my technical expertise.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

linuxboy

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »
You can use that as a relative level of protein and fat breakdown within their PC family. This is if you want to achieve specific textural and flavor or aroma profiles. Two graphs there, one looks like absorbance protease assay, second looks like lipase assay on tributyrin media. Don't need to understand the assay, it's enough to compare the relative performance of the strains.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Got it. That helps. Thanks, LB.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!