Author Topic: Morbier alteration  (Read 466 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Morbier alteration
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
I was panning on making a Morbier style cheese tomorrow from the morning milk, and was curius in getting the opinnion of the experts, if I were to make two changes, how, in their view would these changes alter the cheese, and what problems do they foresee with the proposed changes.
Please be very frank as I enjoy experimenting, but loath wasting milk.  If you think it will be a disaster  tell me.
1. Increase the thicknes of the cheese so that I can use my gouda moulds (these are the only moulds I can use in my press, I will try not to make it very thick )
2.  Add a small amount of GEO to compensate for the thicknes and have some breakdown activity from within.
Everything else would be the same, including the b.linen wash.
Thanks

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 95
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Morbier alteration
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »
Might work but it's hard to sy without knowing what size your molds are. The 50 gram molds should be fine even the 1 kg molds the 2 kg might be a bit over thick. If I remember right you need about 5 inches of cheese to get a good pressing in those.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:10:40 AM »
Unfortunately, I own the bigger ones, so my final product may in fact be a bit thicker.  That is why I was thinking about using the Geo, any thoughts as to how this may react with the given thickness (I can probably end up with a 3" cheese after pressing instead of the traditional 1" -2") just curious.  And thanks for the input.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
In doing some additional research, I came across this page, which I think would support a try at a thicker cheese http://thecheesist.net/2010/06/22/making-morbier-et-comte/   what fun is cheesemaking if you don't experiment every now and then.

Offline FRANCOIS

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 71
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
It will be fine, just takes longer to age.  Be careful you don't get the rind too thick and to avoid drying out I'd get a good b linen coat on it then vacuum seal and put at 4C.  It'll soften quite nicely then.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
will do, thanks