Author Topic: Morbier alteration  (Read 1746 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Morbier alteration
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
I was panning on making a Morbier style cheese tomorrow from the morning milk, and was curius in getting the opinnion of the experts, if I were to make two changes, how, in their view would these changes alter the cheese, and what problems do they foresee with the proposed changes.
Please be very frank as I enjoy experimenting, but loath wasting milk.  If you think it will be a disaster  tell me.
1. Increase the thicknes of the cheese so that I can use my gouda moulds (these are the only moulds I can use in my press, I will try not to make it very thick )
2.  Add a small amount of GEO to compensate for the thicknes and have some breakdown activity from within.
Everything else would be the same, including the b.linen wash.
Thanks

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Morbier alteration
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
Might work but it's hard to sy without knowing what size your molds are. The 50 gram molds should be fine even the 1 kg molds the 2 kg might be a bit over thick. If I remember right you need about 5 inches of cheese to get a good pressing in those.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
Unfortunately, I own the bigger ones, so my final product may in fact be a bit thicker.  That is why I was thinking about using the Geo, any thoughts as to how this may react with the given thickness (I can probably end up with a 3" cheese after pressing instead of the traditional 1" -2") just curious.  And thanks for the input.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
In doing some additional research, I came across this page, which I think would support a try at a thicker cheese http://thecheesist.net/2010/06/22/making-morbier-et-comte/   what fun is cheesemaking if you don't experiment every now and then.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
It will be fine, just takes longer to age.  Be careful you don't get the rind too thick and to avoid drying out I'd get a good b linen coat on it then vacuum seal and put at 4C.  It'll soften quite nicely then.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
will do, thanks