Author Topic: Geotrichum candidum  (Read 1346 times)

adalton

Geotrichum candidum
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »
I have some Geotrichum candidum and was wondering if I could wash a Tomme shaped Gouda with it for rind development and added flavor (probably won't be a Gouda anymore)?  I have no experience washing a cheese and wouldn't have a clue on how to do it, but have some of this left over.  If I can use it, how does one go about applying it?   Will it also grow all over other cheeses that are in cave?  The cheese that is in question is my Gouda make #5 under washed curd, there is a couple of photos of this cheese there.  Thanks again for all of your help,

Andy

FRANCOIS

Re: Geotrichum candidum
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »
Which strain of geo is it specifically?  Just one culture won't do a whole lot to the flavour of the cheese.  If it's geo 13 it will help develop a rind that regulates gas and moisture exchange which has flow down affects to the final flavour and especially texture profile.  When you wash a cheese you should really have a final state in mind, that way you can select cultures and methods to get you there, otherwise it's sort of a stab in the dark.

adalton

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:24:12 AM »
I thought Geotrichum candidum was the Genis and species, but looking closer at the package it says; GEO17  LYO 10 D 

Thanks for your help,

Andy

adalton

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:21 AM »
This is probably a silly question, considering there are probably millions of different cultures, but here it goes.  Does anyone have a list of different cultures that are used for cheese making and what they may do depending on use, or is there a web site that lists them, or gives great information? I'm trying to learn as much as possible and it gets complicated and a bit overwhelming to google GEO, PLA, TA60 and geometry, geo metro and geography come up too.  That was a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Andy

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »
Geo 17 is what you use to prep a rind for yeast.  It's not meant to work on it's own.  It grows thick and quickly (it's the mould form of geo) but doesn't last very long.