Author Topic: Swiss recipe  (Read 4705 times)

Zinger

Swiss recipe
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Looking for a tried and true recipe for Swiss. I am about to attempt my first Swiss and need a good recipe. I've used Ricki Carrol's recipes for other cheeses in the past with good success. As I look at her Swiss, recipe it calls for 1 tsp of PS per 2 gallons of milk. However, on her website she calls for 1/16 tsp per gallon. So the conflict between the two confuses me . Any thoughts or recipes would be appreciated.

anarch

Re: Swiss recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
I've had mixed sucess with her recipes, and used many.  Hopefully someone will clarify. 

I'm contemplating making a swiss using this emmental guide here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,593.0.html  (attachment at the bottom of the first post).

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
We already clarified this in Sailor's swiss thread. 1 tsp is a crazy amount. I would always follow manufacturer guidelines for quantity addition. Hansen's emmentaler guide in that link is decent. Remember pH is key for swiss. rennet at 6.6, drain at 6.35, it takes then another 12-15 hours to reach 5.3. And once you hit 5.2-5.3, brine it. Culture selection is important. Lb delbrueckii ssp Bulgaricus will produce the best results instead of helveticus, along with strep salivarius thermophilus.

green zebra

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
I always read the directions on the packet of cultures/starters, if in doubt. Usually helps.

Zinger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:44:27 AM »
Contacted Ricki Carroll (or at least a representative) and was told that the book had a typo. Advised to use 1/16 tsp per gallon.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:11 AM »
The book has lots of typos they should have a section on the website for changes

green zebra

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »
Hi,
Checked my package of PS and it calls for 1/16th tsp PER gallon of milk...i used the 1 tsp for 2 gallon of milk as per Ricki's recipe, Yikes!! I wonder if this is why my cheese has not responded to eyes forming after waiting 3 weeks of  ripening.

To me, this validates  following manufacturer's recommendation and using the recipe as a guide.

Hope this helps you! :)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
That's a HUGE mistake. I think you should ask Ricki to sent you some replacement culture.

green zebra

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
Hello All!
To those of you who have made a swiss/emmenthaler type cheese, what kind of mold have you used? As my smaller sized swiss cheese (2 gal) seemingly is not working  (not getting the eyes) and the professionals are suggesting to start at a min 30 litres (8 gallons milk) after doing some figuring i came up with needing a minimum 3 kg sized mold. Here in ontario, that mold is over $200 bucks!
Has anyone made a home made mold?!!? I would like to try to make another swiss and use the larger quantity of milk but need a mold. This hobby doesn't support such an expensive item at this point!
Thank you in advance!
D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
a small cheese will make eyes just smaller ones. a bigger cheese will make bigger eyes. But in either case you have to learn HOW to make eyes. They just don't happen you have to carefully nuture them. Your cheese rind was to hard.

Go here:

Go here- Glengarry Cheese in Canada

The tome/St Paulin W34 - PF3889 8 in diamter will make a nice swiss/emmenthaler only $25 with lid.
The lid is separate W34 - PF3888 lid

green zebra

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
thanks DeeJay debi...
I am very familiar with Glengarry...i bought the tomme mold you outlined from them and made my first swiss using that mold and ricki's recipe.
Reading Glengarry's emmemthaler recipe in their cheese making manual, they suggest using a LARGER mold in order for the cheese to accomodate LARGER holes as they claim making this type of cheese is difficult to make as their particular needs must be met in order to achieve the PROPER results.
I will try their SWISS TYPE recipe but reduce the milk quantity and ingredients and the 8" tomme mold and hope for the best. My swiss should have at the very least bulged by now giving it the proper temp and humidity. Will the holes come thru the rind? Or do i have to wait to cut into it to see any?
I just want to see some holes in my cheese! :-\
As i said before, this is one of the stinkiest cheeses i have made and i have made alot of blues!! Just unreal!! Wondering if anyone else has experiencing similar results. Could the propionic shermanni be making this odor? This is the first time i have used this culture. Very curious about it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
If you ask her she will order you a bigger mold but it will take awhile. She special ordered me the larger kadovas and since then they have really caught on. I am sure the same will happen with the larger tome molds.

There is also a nice guy in Wisconsin that sells used dairy equipement he has one that is 22" Deep x 10¼ Diameter! Seems to be out of the smaller ones but have a look.

http://www.ullmers-dairyequipment.com/Cheese-Molds.html

green zebra

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
Thank you...i will check out wisconsin

Tomer1

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »
Making a swiss mould is really easy. Buy a thin (1\8 inch) sheet of LDPE and have it cut to a strip in the needed diameter and hight to reach the volume you need. 
Tie few lines of string which you can tighten as the cheese is pressed.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »
O.K. Whatsuh LDPE???
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/