Author Topic: My latest Caerphilly  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My latest Caerphilly
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:26 PM »
The improvement due to cold innoculation is interesting.  Since that puts the culture in the milk right at the start, I wonder how much one would benefit by adding the culture when you start to warm up the milk rather than when it reaches temperature? 
My last two makes were the first effort at using mother culture cubes. I added them to the cold milk when I began heating. They took between 1.5 to 2.5 hours before the pH had dropped and I could add the CACL and rennet. I would say that was a little faster than what I had been used to. They are both too young to offer any indication as to flavor improvement over adding at the target temperature. I believe I will continue to do it that way.

It's not the same as adding the culture to the milk for overnight preripening. If I had multiple jugs of milk, how would I go about dispersing the culture throughout? Probably not something I will pursue.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

dthelmers

Re: My latest Caerphilly
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »
Yes, harder to do with mother culture. I was using the frozen powder, so I just put 1/8 teaspoon in each jug, shook it up, and back in the fridge.