Author Topic: DFW Area Cheese Supplies & Makers  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Mike Cross

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
DFW Area Cheese Supplies & Makers
« on: January 14, 2017, 05:13:50 PM »
Anyone know of cheese making supplies in DFW area?  Also, any interest in a hobby cheese club?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: DFW Area Cheese Supplies & Makers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
Mike,

I was just searching to update my list of on-line suppliers and saw your post - your lonely post, with no responses! Sometimes I think the forum must eat a post, because I always ask to read "all unread messages," and yet sometimes I still discover that I've missed one.

In any case, I'm sorry you never got an answer back on your post. It may be that there simply aren't any retail outlets in the DFW area - but the same is true for most of us, wherever we are. Thus, I generally buy all my supplies on-line. That's actually what I'm searching for at the moment - updating my list of on-line suppliers. I'll start a new thread with what I find for the benefit of all ... but meanwhile, I hope you have been keeping up with the hobby. It can be addicting!
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
Just to add to this topic, I am not aware of any cheesemaking supplier in DFW.  However, many home brew supply companies do have some items for cheesemaking.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:31:07 AM »
I too missed this post .

I  too use the show all unread posts , but it does not actually work that way , if i go to the forum then leave for a while then all new posts disappear from the search for all unread posts .

CowtownKitchenWitch

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
It's not close but the only place I know of is down around Waco in Gholson at the Homestead Heritage Community which is also the home of Brazos Valley Cheese. Neat place if you've never been. The General Store has some cheese making supplies. They mostly advertise kits but I know you can order specific things (lipase, rennet...) through Rebeccah (or possibly another instructor now?) and pick them up at the store.

http://www.homesteadgeneralstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=197

http://www.brazosvalleycheese.com/

I'd go for a cheese club although I'm only making soft cheeses and some vegan cheeses and I'd really like a group that goes around visiting all our local producers together.

Kern

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:19:15 AM »
Yo, CTKWitch.  I just gave you your first cheese for your thoughtful post and gave one also to Mike as an apology for being ignored.  I was gone so have an excuse unlike the active regulars around these parts.   ;)

CowtownKitchenWitch

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Aww thanks Kern! ;D

Mike,

I see you are in Granbury so you're not far from Lipan. You might strike up a conversation with someone at Eagle Mountain Farmhouse Cheese. A while back they were pushing semi professional cheese making classes. Students are usually interested in buying supplies and if Eagle Mountain doesn't sell them they will definitely know who does.

http://www.eaglemountaincheese.com/

Offline Mike Cross

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  Yes, I've taken Linda and Larry's class at Dave Eagle's place, and even visited them in Vermont.  This month's classes are cancelled, maybe the spring ones will fill.  Dave doesn't sell any supplies, but his cheese is excellent and Linda and Larry's classes are well worth the money if you want to seriously make cheese and improve your skills.