Author Topic: My 3rd Wensleydale  (Read 4844 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 3rd Wensleydale
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
I've vac sealed this one today.  It's now 1000g, and the rind is looking really good on this one.  I should have taken a photo as I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.  I've got a few cheeses ahead of it, and may age it out until we move to our new place in June. 

- Jeff

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
congratulations on the new place :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
Hum... Looks great but no picture...  Just your word for it... Surrre.  ;)

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »
Due to public demand, here's my full dressed Wensleydale!  Come one, come all to see if it can escape from the vaccuum of death! 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
Due to public demand, here's my full dressed Wensleydale!  Come one, come all to see if it can escape from the vacuum of death! 

- Jeff
Ooooh, I get chills.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 03:04:26 AM »
Well I'm glad to hear your Wensleydale is fully dressed!  We'll have no funny business here.  This is a PG rated site!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:23:04 AM by anutcanfly »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 06:21:35 AM »
Well I'm glad to hear your Wensleydale is fully dressed!  We'll have no funny business here.  This is a PG rated site!  ;)
Hey, I've been known to press naked.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
 :o  I'm not sure I wanted that information!  ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:13 AM »
ROLFMAO! You guys are funny! Your Wensleydale is looking gret Jeff and congrats on the new digs!

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »
Hi,

Ok, so this is now around 4.5 months old, and that seems a good time to give it a try.  I've removed it from the vaccuum of death and low and behold, the b.linens that was on the top and bottom must have been a bit active as the top and bottom were damp and had a moist slime to them (yum, that does sound good! :) )  The sides have grown some white mould, and spots of blue, but nothing over powering (including the slime).  I've taken some measurements, and it's still bang on 1000g.  So that's good.  Also it's about 14.8 x 5.2 cm, for a density of 1.12g/ccm.  When I cut into it, it was firm, but with that nice give way texture indicating it's still properly elastic.  The smell seems very good.  And I have now shaved a wee slice off the side and the taste is out of this world.  Absolutely, and without a doubt, the best cheese I've made yet, well, at least that shaving was.  I really hope the rest of the wheel can hold up to that shaving because that was really fantastic.  I've cut into this because we're having family dinner at our place tonight.  I'm hoping it will last until then! :)

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »
Sweet!

But that first pic was kinda scary.  :o

Hope it goes over well. Looks good, Jeff.

(I liked the "vacuum of death". Very dramatic.)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
Thanks Boofer!  Yah, it went down well.  This make is definately now my Wensleydale procedure.  It's fairly straight forward and easy, so good for those starting out.  At 4.5 months it's really good, but of course I can't speak for earlier than that.  I know some people cut into Wensleydales at 1 or 2 months, but other than carephilly, I've found most cheeses are just way too bland at that age. 

Anyway, my vac bags don't seem to prevent the mould and other growth the way yours do, but they did hold the moisture in.  So, I'm pretty pleased with that.

- Jeff