Author Topic: My 5th Wensleydale  (Read 9637 times)

Rizzo

Re: My 5th Wensleydale
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 06:49:39 AM »
Hi Jeff. Thanks for that advice.  I was too busy panicking to take pics at the time!!  I'll try to remember on the next make. Have camera standing by.  One photo below taken just now with phone which doesn't show much, (taken 7.00pm Tues as it dries).

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
Nice looking cheese!  Looking forward to the tasting in a few months.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »
You have inspired me, a Wensleydale it is this weekend - thanks Jeff
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Rizzo

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »
Hi Jeff.
Finally cut into my Wensleydale after 9 weeks. (Pictures attached).  Good texture, and buttery, but doesn't have that edge like a real Wensleydale. 
I am getting a little worried as my last 3 cheeses all tasted the same (Derby, Wensleydale, Lancashire).

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 04:47:49 AM »
Looks nice enough. Perhaps a little more aging to permit the appearance of amino acids and esters from the dying cultures?

I would expect that the party really doesn't even get started until after four months. :)

Good rind and paste development...a cheese for your efforts.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 08:04:34 AM »
Nice rind Rizzo!  A cheese to you. 

Remember, we're working with the same pasturized milk, blended from all over by Fontera.  The cheeses you mentioned all come from cows grazing on particular local flora, etc.  It does make a difference.  Also, as Boofer pointed out, depending upon when you cut it can make a difference.  You're just over 2 months in, which is a young Wensleydale.  The thing is to get your cheese making to the point where you're pretty confident with how each make went, then start aging some out a bit longer to find the point they peak for you.  For me, most cheddars really start to improve after 6 months or so, except caerphilly, which I tend to dig into very early on to get that young cheese tang.  The next thing is to start mixing up the cultures you use, as that will widen the differences.   So many things to play with! :)

Rizzo

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
Interestingly my cheese seems to have gained flavour since I cut into it 2 weeks ago. (Its now 11 weeks old). I am down to the last quarter of it, and it has a much fuller flavour than before.  Not crumbly and sharp, but flavoursome.

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »
I find that happens quite a bit actually.  I'm not sure if it is just the extra time, or if exposing the paste to air sets off some new activity which leads to additional flavour development.  My guess is that is the case.

- Jeff