Author Topic: My first proper Cheddar  (Read 4800 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: My first proper Cheddar
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 11:29:37 PM »
Hi John,  I haven't had any issues reagrding the of use of lard. The lard I use is bought from the store in 1 lb blocks and is quite free of other odours and 'Bits' that home rendered lard might have. I have Cloth Banded Cheddars stored @ 10 Deg C and it gets inspected very regularly but, it does play host to a lovely colour range of molds.
Recently I remodelled my 'Cave' to get rid of as much plastic and wire as possibel.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10288.msg101087.html#msg101087

Coconut Oil - interesting as long as it doesn't smell of coconut any fat based covering would work.  I have however stayed clear of Vegetable oils because of the rancidity issue though, I have used Olive oil - for a Manchago and it didn't go rancid over 3 months.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

John@PC

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
Coconut Oil - interesting as long as it doesn't smell of coconut any fat based covering would work.
-- Mal
I use refined oil for coating cheeses which doesn't have the coconut smell.  An hour ago I went down to bandage my cheddar with coconut oil but saw some white mold on the bottom.  Turned out it was a very thin layer on the surface of the coconut oil and probably because I hadn't flipped the cheese for several days and the mold was on the mat side.  A quick scraping with the back of a table knife removed all and I just went ahead and re-coated with the oil mix I was using.  But speaking of lard: it looks like lard is making a culinary comeback similar to coconut oil has in recent years.  Considering it's rendered pig's fat I was surprised to see this article.    Not really germain to the cheese discussion, but another example that if you wait long enough what was bad for you won't be  ??? (unless you're vegetarian?).

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 02:18:32 AM »
Oh you made my Day
Lard is just about the last stop before the squeal
- :)  Having grown up with Nose to Tail mentality about meat it's a bit pointless in not using it all.
I've made 4 Cloth Banded cheeses now and it really does the trick..

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

John@PC

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »
Lard on, Mal. ;D  We do a lot of pig down here in SC and always have tossed the fat rather than rendered.  I did some tallow once but I'm not a "nose to tail" guy like you.  Is there a easy way to render pig fat lard at home?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
Only what I have found on the Interwebs regarding the beauties and benefits of Lard over 'oils' - Westons Institute come to mind.