Author Topic: Cheese culture for fermented sausage  (Read 3107 times)

Tomer1

Cheese culture for fermented sausage
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:38 AM »
I want to have my first go , in the europien style (slow acidification,less tang=higher pH),
Most likely an italian salami.

Since fermentation is flavor (and aroma),
Other then Cure #2 for food safty I wonder if I could use a messo culture with added milk powder (lactose) as fermentable sugar for acidification fermenting at 22-25c?

Would love to get some tips or even a great recipe.  ^-^

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Cheese culture for fermented sausage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:33:40 AM »
Although lactic acid bacterial cultures are used for many fermented sausages the strains differ quite a bit from what we use in making cheeses. I make quite a few sausages but I only use the cultures made specifically for meats. Much like cheese it can be deadly if you do it wrong. Here is a great site for informations about sausage making and of course there is also my forum and website (click picture the link below).

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Tips.htm#Starter

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »
Tomer, I would stick to the classic lactobacilli that ferment sausage. Meso lactococci would work in theory in lowering the pH, but that's not the whole story. Meat-fermenting lactobacilli also produce protectants against pathogens in addition to flavor and aroma compounds.

Kind of like using a screwdriver to drive in a nail instead of a hammer. Yes, it should work, but it's best to use the right tool for the job.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »
I like the way you put that Pav I don't think I was clear at all. I am not sure where you would get cultures in Irsreal but I can direct you to placed here. I know Chr Hanson makes cultures to make sausage.

http://www.chr-hansen.com/products/product-areas/meat-cultures/our-product-offering.html

There is more info there you may get a better idea.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:43:40 AM »
Also want to point out that less tang is not necessarily higher pH. Flavor for acidity is not just determined by pH, it is also about the types of acid and how the receptors interpret them. So say you have a lactobacilli that produces quite a bit of d-lactate isomer. That's going to produce different flavor from one that sticks to l-lactate. And then there's the question of how that lactate changes during sausage aging.

There's quite a bit you can do with acid flavor control by picking your strains and species of lactobacillus when making sausage, similar to cheese culture selection.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
I see,   Sourcing a meat ferm culture is difficult (and potentially expenssive and problematic to order from abroad) hense the reason for the question.

Ive contacted an israeli charcuteir , I hope he might be willing to help.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »
There must be someone there that sells meat cultures.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
Tomer,
U can find Bactoferm F-RM-52 and the Prague Powder #1 at http://www.home-cheese.com/shop/product-info.asp?ProductID=447.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
#2 is needed for fermented dried cured sausages (both nitrite and nitrate) as far as I understand.
#1 is for wet curing,cold smoked and direct acidification types (with wine,vinegar,incapsulated acid)
Hansen apears to have a disributer in israel , I'l have a talk to them next week and see if they have small packages.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
Please keep us updated.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:55 AM »
Alright Tomer! I've got some really good recipes for sausages and salamis on the forum and website and an eBook with 100 plus recipes~

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05:16 AM »
I love Debi's recipes, and another good resource I've used is Len Poli http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
You may also find my recipes a bit lower in salt whenever posible.

I don't normally open post my forum links but in this case I don't think it's a breach of ethics

http://deejaysworld.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I do step by step processes with pictures just like I do here. Maybe it will help.