Author Topic: Vat - Stockpots  (Read 15393 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Vat - Stockpots
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
Updated this threads OP with two problems I've had, similar experience to salmac, buy cheap, get cheap.

wharris

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »
Carter, 
I'm mentally tinkering with my stockpot.

As you know, I suspend my stockpot above my water bath because I like the ability to raise and lower the milk into the bath as temperature dictates.

I would like to continue this practice as i move from a 5 gallon stockpot to a 25gal pot. The problem is that I have no faith in the structural ability of those handles on the 100 qt stockpot to support the weight of a full pot. Actually, I called the manufacturer and they do not recommend picking up a full pot with the handles...

To that end, I am trying to think of ways to raise and lower this larger pot like i do my 5 gal pot.  Up to this point in my thoughts, I've envisioned a metal grate that the pot would sit on. That, I am pretty confident I could raise and lower. 

But lately, the thought of welding a SS anchor to the side of the pot has crept into my head.  I was thinking of welding an Archer point to which I can link some SS chain and up to a cross bar and ultimately to my block and tackle.

So,  I need you thoughts on the structural capability of welding something like this:

to the side of the pot, and chaining it up.  is this possible? Viable?
A while back you rendered some solid advice on the steam thing, 
And since this is at least 2 zipcodes away from my comfort zone, I could really use a dose of reality.

Here are the two options that i am thinking of.  Each view is one side of the pot.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:24:15 PM by Wayne Harris »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
Sorry to bust your bubble but it won't work. I've converted a million pots in my time and welding to a SS pot has never worked out for me. No matter how well made or sturdy the pot seems the minute you try to weld on it, it will burn through. I'm not sure if you were to do it yourself or have it done at a shop but I wouldn't trust those anchors to hold either. I would think they would rip off and take some of the pot with you. Wayne make it easy on yourself and get a piece of wood, or plastic cutting board at Tap plastics (but might be expensive) or something else that won't rust or degrade in water, then screw a angle iron "L" along it's length and width (you'll have to cut it for width into 2 pieces as it won't overlap the center spine) to keep the material from flexing from the weight of a full pot. Then screw a couple of pieces of wood on top in 4 places with slots in them so the wood blocks can slide back and forth. then when you put the pot on you can slide the wood blocks in place and screw them down so the pot doesn't shift location as you raise and lower it. Next you'll want to bolt those same metal anchors to the wood, not screw but bolt so they don't pull through. With the chain you're going to need a block and tackle or buy for cheap an electric winch from Harbor freight. I can draw you a diagram if you need to see visually what I'm talking about. Don't suppose you have any CAD programs? If you do I can whip out a drawing for you. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:38:05 PM by Cartierusm »

wharris

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
Sigh......

We need to talk

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »
I know, give me a call.

Cheese Head

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
Well, I hadn't used my largest 20 quart stockpot that's only good for 16 quarts in quite a while. Used it on the weekend and forgot my update in OP that it leaks through the rivet holes >:(.

Only good news was slow leak while ripening the starter culture and it self sealed itself after I added the rennet ;D.

Note to self, next time buy quality!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2009, 01:03:10 AM »
That's what you get for being a cheap SOB!  ;D. John the problem with most large stock pots with riveted on handles are the handles are riveted with aluminum and you don't want aluminum touching the milk.

Cheese Head

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 01:06:36 AM »
 ;D ;D, yep back of mind somewhere I think you already politely reminded me of that :-[.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:59 AM »
WOW! I've never seen a stock pot that leaked like that. Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can solder it with silver solder? I wouldn't try lifting it full though.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 06:07:35 AM »
But honestly John, since most big stock pots are made this way I don't think it will have any affect. I mean the surface area is so small I don't see if making a difference.