Author Topic: Coupole - Anyone have a recipe?  (Read 1620 times)

LittleSeed

Coupole - Anyone have a recipe?
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
I'm going to have an Alpine goat in milk on the premises (yeay!) in a few days and am rearing to get started on some surface mold ripened goodies. Geo rinds are my favorites so I think I'll be starting with those. I'll try some basic styles to get going, but was wondering if anyone had attempted to make something similar to VT Butter and Cheese's Coupole? It looks like it could be similar to a crottin make but in a different mould. Ideas?

linuxboy

Re: Coupole - Anyone have a recipe?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
This is just ordinary, classic crottin with a dome top. Francois' crottin recipe here is a good one for a base to clone.

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
Yep, just a different strain of GEO to give it this funky look. Otherwise like Linuxboy says

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
Use some of the rind from an existing one if you want to clone exactly. I remember Adeline saying they import French cultures, so I'm not sure who they use for the geo strain. My guess is Cargill, but it might be Danisco or Hansen. There's a French culture house, for example, that has over 200 strains of geo.

LittleSeed

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
Hi Pav! How are you doing? 
Woah that's amazing! 200 strains of geo... I think I might actually try to use a piece of the La Tur rind for one batch (like that one even better than coupole, but I guess it's a different animal since it has sheep's and cow's milk too) and a Danisco geo strain for another batch so I can compare. Can't wait to start making cheese again now that the move's over and we're almost unpacked!

Hope all is well! Thanks for the advice :)

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:46:05 AM »
Hi, hi,

Hope the make goes well. The little geo rind buttons are some of the most fun and flexible cheeses out there. We're ok, working hard on projects, slowly finishing the build and prepping to move.