Laban - David and Jill Fankhauser
Middle eastern yogurt cheese
1 quart yogurt
1 tsp salt
1. Assemble ingredients: yogurt, salt, sterile handkerchief, two bowls, whisk, strainer.
2. Stir up a quart of yogurt to a smooth consistency, pour into bowl
3. Add one teaspoon of salt
4. Whisk to mix thoroughly
5. Place a sterile handkerchief in a strainer suspended over a medium sized bowl (larger than a quart). Pour in salted yogurt.
6. Lift the four corners of the cloth to make a "sling" and suspend over the bowl to catch the whey which drips through. (I used a strong rubber band looped around the four corners and over a faucet to suspend the cloth. Some people let the whey go down the drain.)
7. Suspend over the bowl to catch the whey which drains off. It can be suspended in a refrigerator to ensure freshness.
8. After about 24 hours, the whey has been drained off, remove and open up the cloth.
9. Here is the finished labneh on the draining cloth.
10. Finished labneh, molded into a ball. Store in the refrigerator.
Does it have to be an hour and use yogurt? Or just something fast?