Author Topic: Quark  (Read 10855 times)

JeffHamm

Quark
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »
Hi,

My wife Vanessa made some cookies the other day that didn't quite turn out right, but she figured turned into crumbs they would be find for a cheesecake crust.  I volunteered to supply the cheese.  So, I searched the boards for a cheesecake recipe, and found one that uses Quark.  I realised, I've never made any of these simple fresh cheeses, where it's just lactic or semi lactic coagulation then drain in a bag. 

Quark

1) warm 4 L milk to 31 C
2) add 2 ice cubes of buttermilk (actually, one might have been fine)
3) sit at room temp 24 hours (I went about 25 hours)
4) transfer curds into a cheesecloth lined collandar (there is a huge amount of curd at this stage, basically, all 4 L is now a very wet, but definate, curd - so my buttermilk icecubes are clearly active)
5) after draining for a couple hours, tie cloth into a bag, and hang over a pot in the fridge over night

And, that should be it.  I've got so much curd right now that I'm not sure it's going to tie into a bag.  Might have to let it drain longer.  Will see.

The curds are definately very tart right now.  I didn't see any call for salt?  Is quark normally left unsalted?

- Jeff

P.S. Oh yah, here's the cheesecake recipe.  It is found in a link that was posted by mtncheesemaker(Pam) on Oct 15, 2011: (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,330.msg58442.html#msg58442) for her post with the external link.  She says in her post she had to bake it longer than indicated in the recipe, so keep an eye on it and use your own judgement.

Comments:
This wonderful and creamy German Cheesecake is very light and each bite melts in your mouth. It is not too sweet. This is a dessert that always gets many wonderful compliments.

Ingredients: 

For the Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla-sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 stick (7 tbsp/3 1/2 oz/100g) butter

For the Filling:
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla-sugar
3/4 stick (7 tbsp/3 1/2 oz/100g) butter, very soft and at room temperature
6 oz. heavy cream
17 oz. (500g) Quark - A light yogurt type cream cheese* (see note below for Quark substitutions, if needed)
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
Instructions:
For the Crust:
Sift the flour, stir in the baking powder, salt, vanilla-sugar, lemon peel and sugar, then rub in the butter and knead to a smooth consistency with the egg. Place dough in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 C). You will need a 9 or 9 1/2-inch springform pan.

Roll out the dough on a well-floured work surface, then form it into a ball again and roll it out a second time. (This dough is the worst behaved of any I have ever had to deal with, but the double rolling helps tame it, and the end result IS worth the hassle). Place dough in bottom of a 9 or 9 1/2-inch springform pan, pressing it up the sides almost to the top. Set aside.

For the Filling:
Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla-sugar until pale and foamy. Add the softened butter and beat well, then add the heavy cream and beat again. Add the quark and stir until the mixture is smooth and throughly combined.

Whisk the egg whites with the salt until very stiff, then very gently fold in the quark mixture, also adding the sifted cornstarch a little at a time. Pour the filling into the crust shell and gently wobble the pan back and forth until the surface is smooth. Trim the dough, leaving about 1 inch (2 1/2 cm). Bake in preheated 300 degrees F (150 C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes (longer if necessary) until well risen and golden - it resembles a souffle at this point (It will sink in the middle quite dramatically - don't worry, it's supposed to do this). Turn the oven off, and let the cheesecake rest in the oven for 15 minutes; then remove it from the oven, cool for an hour or so at room temperature, and refrigerate for several hours before releasing sides of pan and serving. (I make mine the day before I need it). This cheesecake is very nice served with sliced strawberries, or a raspberry sauce. Keep cheesecake stored in the refrigerator, covered.

*Note:
There are 3 substitutions that can be used for the Quark in this recipe if Quark is not available. One is to use farmer’s cheese, another is to purée cottage cheese in a blender or food processor, and the third is to purée eight parts of ricotta cheese with 1 part of sour cream in a food processor.

Makes 12 servings.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:25:33 PM by JeffHamm »

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
Re: Quark
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:08:48 AM »
Hi!
in my country we make similar cheese to Quark and I use it for cheesecakes.
My recipe is very similar and also doesn't call for any salt.

boothrf

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
Jeff,

No need to salt it if you are using it in a cheesecake. Makes a very nice cheesecake base, just add enough sugar to taste. I salt mine to taste if I'm going to use it as a spread or dip. Great with some relish mixed through and spread on biscuits.

These cheeses are so simple to make, I don't really call it cheesemaking! No curd cutting, no hooping, no maturing.......but simple, easy and tasty!  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
Great!  Thanks everyone.  I ended up with about 1.3 kg (inlcuding the weight of the plastic mixing bowl, which I forgot to weigh before loading it up) of Quark from the 4 L.  That means there will be lots left over after the cheesecake is made, so I may add a bit of salt after that. 

Here's a photo of my first fully lactic fresh cheese. 

- Jeff

Corina

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »
I make the same thing but with milk that has  gone sour by itself. ;D
Because I have fresh milk at hand, from cows, sometimes my boys forget to put it bak in the fridge, so sometimes it gets sour. So, I let it sit a few more hours until it is coagulated, then put it in a cloth and hang it in the cellar to dry. If it is draineD not to much I use it for cheese tart or for cakes cream. If I drained it more, it is like fresh cheese and I use it in something that here it is called papanasi. ;D

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
Hi Corina,

I think quark was originally made just as you say, leave fresh milk out to coagulate, then bag and drain it.  What is  papanasi?  Do you have a recipe that you could share.  I'm going to have a bunch of this left over, and it would be nice to use it all up. 

- Jeff

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:20:03 PM »
Papanasi - Romanian Cheese Pancakes

4 cups Farmers Cheese
1/2 cup flour
8 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar or Splenda
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sour cream or Creme Fraiche
2 tablespoons vanilla

Heat a griddle until sizzling. In the bowl of an electric mixer whip the cheese, eggs, flour, 1/2 of the sweetener, lemon zest, and salt. Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of mix on to griddle for each pancake. Cook until golden brown on each side and the batter does not spring back when touched with the finger. Mix the sour cream with the remaining sweetener and the vanilla. Top pancakes with sour cream mix. Drizzle a teaspoon of raspberry or strawberry sauce if desired. Serve hot.

Sounds yummy!

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »
Thanks for that!  They do sound yummy!

- Jeff

Corina

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:35:22 AM »
Thanks Debi, that is almost as I make it.
In my recipe I also add two teaspoons of baking powder, to make them fluffy, and I do not add sugar to the mix, only  to the sour cream sauce.
I take one very full tablespoon from the mix, put in on a plate where I have some flour, and with my hand I make a ball moving it in the plate so as it gets covered with flour, but so as not to press the ball too much.
Then, I pres the ball a little, and put a finger in the middle making a hole,like in doughnuts.
Cook them in a pan with hot oil, two  fingers deep, until golden brown, then take them out on a paper towel or on a rack to dry the oil in excess.
They are very fluffy inside and light and a little crisp on the outside.
I serve them with the ourcream sauce and a spoonfull of bitter cherry jam .

This is the cookes version, I als o have a boiled version,, which is great.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:07 AM »
Wow! what a yummy discussion :) Thanks for sharing an interesting recipes!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
6 tablespoons sugar or Splenda
Please use sugar, honey, Stevia, or other natural sweeteners, but not Splenda (Sucralose).

Dangers of Splenda

"Sucralose, incidentally, was discovered in the 1970s by researchers looking to create a new pesticide."

Sorry to cast a shadow on such a yummy thread....  :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Corina

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
I use sugar, honey can stiffen the finalproduct, however, if it gets to the next day, it will soften again. In my house there are no leftovers when I make them!

So true about Splenda.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
My sister loves that stuff and I still think it tastes like crap. She had her battles over the years with eatting disorders and she is afraid of sugars and fats. I'm a big fan of using honey, apples and roasted red peppers for sweetening foods. Molases is good too. I have been experimenting with Agave necture the past year or so trying to find things for the diabetics in my life to enjoy - I like that pretty much as well.

Corina

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:10:13 AM »
Red peppers? Interesting...can you describe that please, somewhere, so as not to destroy Jeff's Quark?
I also use honey very much, as we have a lot of bee keepers in the area and buy honey by the bucket. ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
Sure Corina I will make a thread ... somewhere else.