Author Topic: Hoop Liner - Plastic Mesh  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Hoop Liner - Plastic Mesh
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
I'll be trying out, possibly, tomorrow my plastic mesh for a liner for my molds. They will be similar to the Kadova molds. This will allow me to do without cheese cloth but the benefit of it. I'm trying this as I hate cleaning the cloth and the wrinkles it imparts in the cheese as I never have enough patients to make it perfect. I will use it in for the sides and then use pieces of regular cheese cloth for the top and bottom so they will conform around my embossing plates.

Likesspace

Re: Hoop Liner - Plastic Mesh
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:38:31 AM »
Carter,
I'm really anxious to hear how this works out for you. I'm sick and tired of both the cheese cloth marks and the bumps. Everytime I look at one of Wayne's wheels I feel a little sick with envy.
Keep us posted.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:02:38 AM »
I've got so much new equipment to build I'm not sure if I'll be making a batch until next week, but maybe I'll see in a few hours how I feel, if I want to go to the store.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
Dave it works freaking great, but there is a learning curve. Not the use but your order of operations, don't have time now to explain but I'll post later.

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:51:26 AM »
Glad to hear it works and I'll be looking forward to hearing the particulars!
You certainly  have no shortage of ideas to make cheese making easier and better.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:07:31 AM »
Ok, just got back from dinner, my freakin' brother has terets tonight..it's annoying.

It works really well. Parmesan is by far the hardest to peel cheese cloth away as the curds are much firmer. I've pulled chunks out before. So it releases good and it's soooo easy to clean, much easier than cheese cloth, wipes right off.

The only problem is I don't think it will be possible to remove the cheese and redress it. You might have to leave it in. If the wheel came out firm enough to hold you probably could but none of my wheels I feel comfortable in handling after a few pressings.

My regiment is going to. Smooth top and bottom with circular plastic cloth and a piece for the sides. Then for the final press I'll take the bottom out and put in the embossing plate and then do the same for the top, both without cheese cloth or plastic cloth. But i'll never remove the cheese from the mold or the side piece of plastic cloth. I drilled holes in the mold as I was using the plastic cloth on the sides and I got a ton of whey, it definatly drained better than when I don't use cheese cloth. The best part is it doesn't have to be cotton cloth for the draining and wicking action as Kadova molds use the same plastic type of mesh.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:29:49 AM »
Here's a couple of pics with the molds lined waiting for curds. It's hard to see but on the bottom is a circluar piece.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
Sorry about your brother, I agree it can be annoying.

So where did you get the gauze from?

I wonder if wiping over the cheese with some whey/brine, might soften the cheese a little and make it easier to pull away from the cheese?  Just a thought.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:37:45 AM »
Sorry Tea, I wan't very clear, my brother doesn't really have terets but he was just being annoying. And this platic mesh doesn't stick. I was referring to REGULAR cheese cloth as it sticks a lot to parm, but the plastic pulls away very easily.

Tea

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »
Yes Carter I realise that he doesn't have it, that why it is all the more annoying!!

I did though misinderstand on the plastic mesh.  Last time I used cloth on the alpine, I actually had to use a knife to separate the cloth from the cheese.  First time that has ever happened, and the cheese and I, for that matter, weren't a pretty sight.  Felt like having a voluntary fit of terets myself.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »
LOL. Well from my experience and what I've read in some of my text books are parm is that hardest to remove cheese cloth from because the curds are so hard to begin with. This released very easily.