Author Topic: Bloomy Rind or other Cheese Suggestions ?  (Read 1437 times)

Althea

Bloomy Rind or other Cheese Suggestions ?
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »
I am looking for suggestions for a good bloomy rind cheese that is well suited to my cows' milk. I am licensed but have been primarily selling raw milk (legally) and fantastic greek yogurt. I'm ready to cross that bridge and make cheese! I want to experiment and find out what type of cheese I like to make, what type is well suited for the milk my cows produce, and then test the market a bit this summer at farmer's markets and see what actually sells here. I really like bloomy rind and natural rind cheeses like Tomme. I may have the opportunity to expand in April 2013 so would like to spend this year making cheese, taking classes, reading good books. I would love suggestions for any of the above!
A little background:
Located in a small seaside town in Maine. We get pretty good tourist presence from May through October then it is local customers which actually are very into local food. I have a farm with 6 kids! I am unfortunately about to be divorced but have recently found a wonderful and very eager employee. The farm was always mine anyway and I have always done all the milking, cow care, barn cleaning etc. anyway while caring for the kids. 5 of the 6 are in school and #6 child will be in school in 2014. It seems like good timing to be planning and the possibly expanding.
I have a herd of purebred Jersey cows that I have been selectively breeding for high butterfat and protein. Am now on the 4th generation and am really loving what these cows have evolved into!I will be milking 9 this summer and have gotten 3 heifer calves in a row! We are primarily seasonal and these cows are active graziers and very hardy. Butterfat averages 7-9% and total solids 19% ( I think) production per cow peaks at about 50lbs and then settles down to 35-40lbs . I switch to once a day milking in late Fall when we switch from grass to hay. On a good year we dry off around Christmas and then it all begins again in late March-May!
I am wanting to make a good life for my children and I- while still doing what I love! I think I can come up with a good schedule that works well with the school year and my childrens needs. I've done it thus far through many a pregnancy in a very unorganized fashion with minimal efficiency or equipment and next to no help.
Sorry about the long book! Felt it was important to give you an idea of where I'm coming from and where I want to go. I am extremely passionate, hard-working and determined! Thank you for any suggestions and points in the right direction or just encouragement!
Althea

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Bloomy Rind or other Cheese Suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »
Hello Althea and welcome.
Sounds like you will do well. I've seen the tourist up there and they do like to consume everything they can take back to the city! I usually try to take a weekend or two to hit the cheese and beer trails and see what's new. You should do well. I have often had a chuckle listening to them discuss the local cheeses and one thing I noted from upstate NY to Maine is they seem to forget where they got something they liked before. There are so many articans up there. I always thought it would be smart the name a cheese something like Atheas Barharbor Brie or something that reenforces where it came from.

The places that seem do best are the ones with tiny free samples. The ones with bigger samples or no samples go away with smaller or no bags. People that are traveling want cheeses that will hold up well. At some point think about making cheddars, havartis and edams I see them walk out a lot. Probably because they travel so well. Unless they have a cooler just ready for cheese there's nothing worse than droopy half melted cheese in the trunk in August. A smart purveyor in my mind would also have availble a tiny cheap styroform or other "cheese safe" available for purchase. Food for thought!

There are lots of recipes here and you can read about the tweaks and pitfalls of each make.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
Unless they have a cooler just ready for cheese there's nothing worse than droopy half melted cheese in the trunk in August. A smart purveyor in my mind would also have availble a tiny cheap styroform or other "cheese safe" available for purchase. Food for thought!
I would also add a frozen Polar Packs or something similar to accompany a small styrofoam box. Simple but elegant solution. The styrofoam box could also be emblazoned with your cheeserie's name or logo.

This is the solution one vendor uses to ship their products. The apple is in there for a size reference.

Welcome to the forum, Althea.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
FYI - that insulated cooler and 2 Polar Packs is approaching a cost of $10. My vet saves insulated vaccine boxes for me that are perfect.