Author Topic: Pepper Jack #1  (Read 3239 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Pepper Jack #1
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:00:51 AM »
Added 6-30-12: Just a note to say this cheese turned out really well. I don't have any pictures, because it is gone! It was lovely when heated, melting very smoothly, and had just a nice amount of heat from the peppers. I will certainly try this make again!
Susan

This is my cheese # 22.
During this make, which was attempting to be the same as I did for Garlic Jack, I found the pH dropping much fast than I expected. I used the same starter as before, but the milk is different as I have recently switched to a non-homoginized variety (Strauss Dairy). Usually the pH when I test the milk at the start is 6.6 or 6.7. This time it tested at 6.5 pH after calibrating the meter.

Pepper Jack #1
2 Gallons pasteurized non-homoginized whole cow milk pH 6.5
¼ tsp MM100
¼ tsp calcium chloride in ¼ cup water
1.75 ml single strength calf rennet in ¼ cup water
1 Tablespn salt
1 generous teaspoon red pepper flakes simmered in ½ cup water for 15 mins

1:30: Milk at 86 degrees, stirred in water strained from peppers. Added culture and let rehydrate 5 mins, then stirred in. Let ripen 30 mins.
2:10: Temperature holding, stirred in calcium chloride, then rennet. Flocculation at 14 mins x 3.5, for a total of 49 mins. Clean break on schedule. Cut curds at about ½ inch and rested 10 mins.
Temp raised to 100 degrees over 40 mins, gently stirring, pH now 6.2. Goal was 6.3.
Held at temperature stirring for another 12 mins with pH drop to 6.1. Goal was stirring 30mins with a pH of 6.2.
Drained whey to level of curd, stirring another 12 mins with pH drop to 6.0. Goal was 30 more mins of stirring for pH of 6.0.
4:30: Drained lovely squeaky, resilient curd and mixed in salt and reserved pepper flakes. Scooped into 4.5 x 6 inch form lined with cheesecloth.
Pressed at 10 # for 15 mins. Redressed and pressed at 30 # for 30 mins. Redressed and now pressing at 40#. Not sure how long to press, because the target was to be 5.5 pH. I think I will reach that goal before it is firmed up enough.
6:45: Decided to put weight up to 55 #, which was everything I had available! The pH was 5.5.
7:30: Took the baby out of the press as there was hardly any liquid still coming off. As best I could test it, the pH was 5.4.
Weight 2 #, 2 oz

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:51:45 PM by scasnerkay »
Susan

anutcanfly

Re: Pepper Jack #1
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:22:03 AM »
Don't let the pH get away from you!  For this cheese it's better to stop pressing early than to keep pressing and let the pH get too low!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:26:06 AM »
Doesn't the pH continue to drop once I take it out of the press? I would think the only way to slow it down would be to put it in the cave.....
Susan

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »
OOPS!  Sorry, for some reason I thought you were brining your cheese!  If you salt your cheese prior to hooping, you can let it press all night if you want to.  The salt will slow down the acidification.  The 5.5 pH target is really for Jack that is to be brined.  This style cheese can be done either way. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »
That looks wonderful scasnerkay!

A cheese for you!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
Here is my original of the chart Boofer copied - much easier to see.

Maybe we should put it in the library? I thought I did once?

Edited panner ...anyone else see anything please tell me!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:36:17 AM by DeejayDebi »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
Here is my original of the chart Boofer copied - much easier to see.

Maybe we should put it in the library? I thought I did once?
Thanks, Debi. I looked in the library and searched on the forum but couldn't find it. Could you check and add it if it's not there?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
That's a very nice chart!  Thanks for sharing.   :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
I will look Boofer. It could be buried somewhere I did that chart in 2009!  I think I was waiting for consesus before adding to the library and never got it. I do tend to make a lot of typos didn't want to run someone off the road.

dthelmers

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
Debi, I have a question about the chart. You have paneer as a renneted cultured cheese, with a final pH of 5.3. The only way I've made it was acid coagulated, and no culture. I tried some FD once in it to get more flavor and it got melty. Does your version melt?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:34:36 AM »
Dave that should have gone down a line. Never did get a proof reader on this chart, I thik that's why I did post it in the library. I use leomn juice! Chnaged it. The ph readings came from the forum I believe. I rarely  use a ph meter.

dthelmers

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »
Thanks Debi!
This is a great help to have some typical guidelines to refer to. I'm going to get it laminated like I did for my most frequent makes. A cheese for your efforts!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
Thanks dave. If you or anyone else see something let me know. I mobed stuff all around so things can get out of wack!

Caseus

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
I'm about to make a Monterrey Jack, so I'm reviving this thread to ask a couple more questions.

Pressed at 10 # for 15 mins. Redressed and pressed at 30 # for 30 mins. Redressed and now pressing at 40#. Not sure how long to press, because the target was to be 5.5 pH. I think I will reach that goal before it is firmed up enough.
6:45: Decided to put weight up to 55 #, which was everything I had available! The pH was 5.5.
7:30: Took the baby out of the press as there was hardly any liquid still coming off. As best I could test it, the pH was 5.4.
Weight 2 #, 2 oz

Don't let the pH get away from you!  For this cheese it's better to stop pressing early than to keep pressing and let the pH get too low!

OOPS!  Sorry, for some reason I thought you were brining your cheese!  If you salt your cheese prior to hooping, you can let it press all night if you want to.  The salt will slow down the acidification.  The 5.5 pH target is really for Jack that is to be brined.  This style cheese can be done either way.

Susan, you salted yours when you added the peppers.  I am planning on brining mine, so I need to be mindful of the 5.5 pH. 

Will the pressed out whey continue to acidify at the same rate as the curds in the press?   Can I accurately monitor the pH by taking a measurement of the expressed whey that comes off during pressing?   If not, what is the proper technique for taking a pH measurement at this stage?

One other question:  Are there flavor or texture differences in the Jack cheese resulting from the choice of salting versus brining? 

Tomer1

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »
Not really.  to take pH measurment you either use your (flat) electrode directly to the moist rind or blitz a small piece of the curd with distilled water to a slurry to take measurment. (not realistic when your only making one wheel)