Author Topic: Two Pillows and a Havarti  (Read 1291 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Two Pillows and a Havarti
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »
So I managed to get my hands on some...ehem..."fresh"   ;) milk the other day, so I decided to make some cheese.  It was my first time using this milk so I went on the conservative side on my estimation of how much curd it would yield, boy was I wrong.  I decided to make a Havarti and I was going to do the Guinness wash like I had in the past (My son has dubbed these cheese "Irish Dane")  so when I looked at how much curd there was I was surprised.  I figured I could use some of my improvised moulds that I had made (2 Danish Butter Cookie tins and a square food safe plastic cracker box).  I salted the rinds after they came out of the press as I did with the last Havarti/washed I made

I have decided to keep the large square cheese a Havarti and the two pillows will get different washes, one with get the Guinness and the other will get my new favourite beer, Lead Dog Olde English Ale by Yukon Brewing (Maybe this one can be called Sam McGee  ???).  I am interesting in seeing how these will turn out.    I have not weighed them yet, I will when I get home tonight.

Cheers
Ian

green zebra

Re: Two Pillows and a Havarti
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »
Hi Ian,
Wow, you got alot of cheese! How much milk did you use? Did you find using "special" milk give you any different results than what you are used to? Did this milk work any different than the other?
D

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »
im dying to get my hands on some...fresh...milk over here in BC but everyone keeps telling me its illegal to procure it unless you own the animals >< guess ill have to look into buying a pasture

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:45:17 PM »
I think you really appreciate the extra deepth with respect to flavor a fresh milk will give you. Congrats!

Cloversmilker

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »
Nice looking cheeses.   :)  Yes, *fresh* milk is the best.  High yield and real flavor. 

Hmmmm.  Shouldn't any cheese called Sam McGee be rolled in a little ash for a finisher?   ;D

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
How much milk did you use? Did you find using "special" milk give you any different results than what you are used to? Did this milk work any different than the other?

I used 14L of Jersey, it produced quite a bit more than I am use too. I did not have to use CaCl, so that was a bonus.  The colour was fantastic too, it was a nice off white rather than plain white.  I did notice a firmer curd, and my floc time was a little off, but I was very happy with the yield.

im dying to get my hands on some...fresh...milk over here in BC but everyone keeps telling me its illegal to procure it unless you own the animals >< guess ill have to look into buying a pasture

you are in BC, take a look at realmilk.com it has several places in BC.

Hmmmm.  Shouldn't any cheese called Sam McGee be rolled in a little ash for a finisher?   ;D

Yes I would think so, but only if I was going to age it out fully to Marge on Lake Lebarge, but I think this one will stay on the trail.  ;)

I weighed them last night, the pillows are 1lb each and the block is a little over 3 lbs.  I am very happy with everything so far.

Deejaydebi, thanks, I am looking forward to a better flavour profile.

Ian
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:13:47 PM by pliezar (Ian) »