Author Topic: First Cheese, Mozzarella Make #1 (picture heavy)  (Read 2243 times)

AJ Peacock

First Cheese, Mozzarella Make #1 (picture heavy)
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
Overall the make went well, I believe I overworked the curd in too low temp water, which caused the final cheese to be dry.
The cheese tasted fine, just dry (as dry as typical provalone).  The Ricotta tastes great though.

Here are my Make notes.  I think it went great until I started trying to heat the curd.  With only 2 gallons in the roaster, I couldn't get the heat above 165F (since the heating elements are all around the roaster).  So I ended up adding hot water and removing the salted water, which is where my cheese got 'rinsed' and ended up overworked etc.  Next time I'll either work the curd using the microwave?  Or a much small pot for heating the curd.

Milk: 4 Gallons Meijer brand skim milk + 2 cups Meijer brand Heavy whipping cream (going for approximately 2% with cream being non-homogenized).

1:35pm  started heating milk/cream + 1/2tsp Calcium Chloride (diluted in 1/2C water) using 18qt turkey roaster attached to PID.

2:57pm reached 90F
               Added 2 packets Thermo culture starter, let sit on top for 5 minutes, then stirred top/bottom for 1 minute.
               Let sit at 90F for 30minutes
3:33pm Add 1/2tsp Lipase (mild) dilute in 1/2C water (mixed earlier)
3:34pm Add rennet 1/2tsp animal powder dilute in 1/2C water, mixed and immediately added to milk (stirred lightly)
               Let sit undisturbed 75 minutes (maintaining 90F)
4:49pm Cut curd 3/8"  (finished at 5:00pm)

5:00pm Start heating toward 100F stirring lightly every 2 minutes to avoid curd matting.
5:24pm reached 100F
               Let rest 5 minutes.
5:29pm Drain whey and move curd to stock pot in sink of 100F water.
               Let whey drain for 2 1/2 hours, removing whey each 20 minutes.

8:35pm whey draining finished.
               slice curd into 1/2" slices return to roaster to heat (2 gallon water with 4Tbs salt added)

work curd as water heats to 170F, removing when stretch occurs.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:35:39 PM by AJ Peacock »

AJ Peacock

Re: First Cheese, Mozzarella Make #1 (picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
Fixed the URL's, it worked in preview but when I posted it, something messed up all the pics???

AJ

GlennK

Re: First Cheese, Mozzarella Make #1 (picture heavy)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
Mozzarella is always a favorite to make.  Congrats on your first make.  A cheese to you, fellow Michigander!