Author Topic: a successful Mozzarella recipe using shop milk  (Read 8214 times)

zvisaar

Re: a successful Mozzarella recipe using shop milk
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
sorry boddeys thats what mr mozzarela wrotr in his recipe as it was not logical i just asked him to be shure......wsuprising he is not responding ,,,

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:50 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm back!
I can see you have picked up my mistake in the recipe and congrats you are correct! It is 1.5cm cut although if you are using homogenised milk the curd does turns out really small in the end no matter what size cut. I suggest thumb width as a quick guide.

Amazingly enough the last time I held a class making mozzarella I used two different brands of milk. Half the class had one brand and the other half used the other brand. One brand of milk didn't work! They were both unhomogenised milk and well reputed brands.

I am going to have a crack at the 30 minute mozzarella this week.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 04:10:49 AM »
I should be doing housework but grabbed some fresh milk and made mozzarella instead...
I had tried other recipes and not had much luck so I went back to this recipe but used raw fresh milk and it worked a treat.
Does anyone know how to store the mozzarella, I plan on vacuum sealing but would like to know what they do commercially.

Spoons

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 05:09:16 AM »
I do mozz on a regular basis. I use Pav's recipe, but I add a cheddaring step, that way I only wait about 30 minutes until stretch time. I've vac sealed the cheese a few times. I kept one vac sealed 2 weeks once and it kept pretty well.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
I am still eating the vacuum sealed mozzarella and it is perfectly preserved. It needed a bit more salt though so I will make a note for my next make.

The other thing I remember doing to make a successful mozzarella - make a liquid culture the day before. I used a thermo culture, TCC I think, in a UHT milk at 37C overnight. When I had a failure I had directly added the culture.