Author Topic: a successful Mozzarella recipe using shop milk  (Read 8212 times)

cheeseslovesu

a successful Mozzarella recipe using shop milk
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

this is my first post on cheeseforum. I have been reading all the information everyone has posted over the years but never felt game enough to contribute.
I have just completed 4 years of commercial cheesemaking in my own factory, that has now ended. My new adventure is cheesemaking classes. I really want to use shop bought milk, mostly homogenised and pasteurised as most people can only obtain this type of milk.
So after reading about everyones disasters I have reused a recipe we used to make which is based on Carole Willmans "Home Cheesemaking" recipe.
When making cheese in small quantities I use a small portable gas camping stove, large 10 litre bain marie tray, metal rack to keep the smaller bain marie tray/ stock pot off the bottom of the waterbath pan.

* 10 litres good quality pasteurised and homogenised cows milk bring to 37C
* add 2.5ml Calcium Chloride in 50ml unclorinated cooled boiled water. Stir in for 1 mins
* add 150ml Multiple Strain Thermophile (C starter) I had set this the night before as a liquid culture. Stir 1 minute
* cover with lid, leave 30 mins
* add rennet at 2.5ml in 50ml unclorinated cooled boiled water. Stir 2 mins
* Cover with lid, leave 30 mins
* cut curds 1.5mm cubes and leave undisturbed for 5 mins.
* stir very slowly and gradually increase speed over the next 30 mins also increasing temperature to 42C over that 30 mins.
* (I found the water bath needed to get to 55C to get that increase)
* Maintain the 42C temp and keep slowly stirring for another 50 mins (the curd is quite small at this stage but thats ok)
* PH 6.1 - 6.2 at the end of this step. I used strips and it indicated this was correct
* Remove all whey (you could use this for ricotta) I used a fine colander over a sterilised bucket to catch the curd
* Put curd back into the warm bain marie over the water bath and maintain 42C (you may have to cool down water bath).
* turn mat of curds every 15 mins x 4 times (so over an hour long period) drain any whey
* PH should be 5.7 and the ph strip indicated this was correct
* have a pot of water ready with 80C water.
* test a small piece of curd in the water and if after a few minutes it starts to stretch then your ready
* cut curds into 2cm cubes and sprinkle with a few tablespoons salt
* throw half the cubes into the water and you may need to heat a little to keep the temp at 80C
* using a slotted spoon scoop up half the curd and (using rubber gloves) knead the curd into a stretch and knead movement
* The curd should become smooth and pliable. You can take the curd out of the water to do this but dip back in if it starts to break
* Form a neat ball and drop into ice cold water
* continue with the rest of the curd.
I left the balls in the cold water for an hour until I had cleaned up then added some salt brine to the container until the next day.

I am not sure how to keep the mozzarella fresh, it does need to be used quickly.
The flavour is good but using fresh cows is best.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have photos on my facebook page but can put them on here when I get the hang of it.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: a successful Mozzarella recipe using shop milk
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:55 AM »
welcome cheeseslovesu!

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
I cant upload photos as they are too big.

I have uploaded step by step photos on my facebook site Cheeses Loves You

You can also see how I have set up my work station.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
Welcome Cheeselovesu -
Sounds like you are moving right along. 4 Years in training sound like you should have plenty to contibute here!

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »
Thank you Debi, I am so happy to share all I know. I am not technical but boy could I make cheese!

Will Stud was a regular visitor to our stall and his wife loved our haloumi and Kefir.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
I love Haloumi! Wanna share your recipe? I have a very basic recipe that is just milk and rennet. I often wonder if there are variations.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:30:26 AM »
Sure, I will post the haloumi recipe on the correct thread today. I would make 300 - 400 litres of cows milk haloumi a week and sell out at 4 farmers markets.
An actual picture of our haloumi is in the current Donna Hay magazine on sale now. We are in the Destination Tweed booklet as a centrefold.

http://www.facebook.com/CheeseMakingClasses

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:42:09 AM »
I got a hankerin' to make some halloumi today but made piza instead. Maybe this weekend. Haven't made it a a very long time. I love it fried with onions and greens. Neither of which I have on hand right now - but I have an appointment tomorrow and will run out and get some.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:26:32 AM »
I have just made mozzarella again with this recipe.

I used 6 litres of full cream pasteurised, unhomogenised milk and it worked beautifully. It made 5 fist sized rounds. I started at 10am and it is sitting in my fridge at 2pm.

YUM

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
congratulations!

zvisaar

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
did u nmean u cut the crud to 1.5 mm or 1.5 cm just to be sure????

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
pretty sure it would have been 1.5cm - mm would have shown true dedication to the cause! We await your reply Deb...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »
a 1.5 mm cut would pretty much require a magnifying glass and a knife thinner than a razor blade I think. That's close to the thickeness of sheet of paper .005 inches.  1.5 cm is just over half and inch .59 inches!

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
I know Deb from Cheeseslovesu personally and believe me by the end of a day cutting 1.5mm curd cubes it wouldn't have been pretty...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
LOL I think i'd be really nuts by then!