1/2 gal glass milk bottles

Started by McCreamy, March 22, 2012, 04:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCreamy

Does anyone know a good place to get 1/2 gal glass milk bottles in WI? I'm at the point where I might just break down and buy the organic milk from the store that comes in the glass bottles. It costs $4 (or so) for a 1/2 gal + a $2 deposit. I might call them during my lunch break today to see if they would sell me some though. I haven't done that yet. I'm not having much luck online. I did find that I can get a case of 6 of them shipped to me for $35. I guess I thought I could find them cheaper. Do you have any suggestions?

Oberhasli

Hi McCreamy,

Is this milk to be bottled for resale or just for you to keep in your fridge for your comsumption? I store my milk in 1/2 gallon mason jars (like the one used for canning).  I can only find these jars at Ace Hardware stores and they are usually glad to order them if they don't have them.  I buy plastic screw-lids to use instead of the metal ones it comes with.  I use these at home and recommend to anyone I might sell milk to, that it is a good way to store fresh milk.

Don't know if that helps.

Bonnie

zenith1

I don't know precisely what is available in your area but in my area 1/2 gallon mason jars are readily available. We use them for our weekly milk run to the farm. They are the wide-mouth and lids and rings are always available. Why not search for a supplier of canning goods in your area.

McCreamy

I appreciate the suggestion. The glass milk bottles are easier to pour for us. I just got a call back from the organic dairy that's about 30 mins away, and they sell them for $3. I'm going that route.

DeejayDebi

That's a good price! I know here we pay $2.50 for a deposit on the bottles.

MrsKK

That's a great price - are they going to give you lids, too?  If they will only give you one lid per bottle, I can save you some lids from the milk for the cheese classes, as they just throw them away if you turn them in along with the bottles.

I saw your pm before I saw this, so you've got a couple of different answers now.

McCreamy

They did include the lids. I even found a half off deal on a local website.

MrsKK

Share?  I could use a few more easy-to-pour from bottles.

stratocasterdave

Here in Western WI, Crystal Ball Farms fills half gallon glass containers, FYI.  They are in Osceola.