Author Topic: New cheese mold  (Read 3891 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
New cheese mold
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
It finally came I am so excited  "(extra-large height 6in (15cm).,inside diameter 8.25in.(21cm). Can be used with 3-8 gallons (11-30 liters) of milk)"
now all i have to do is get my press built (or build a ramp for my Cadilac ;) ) I also ordered 50 dose Thermophilic Starter Series TA 61-62 and LH Series (20 doses) and last but not least Propionibacteria- (25 grams) just one more thing to figure out, what cheese to make next
Gawd I love this stuff  ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: New cheese mold
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »
Hey! Congrats! Make sure you line that mold with cheese cloth or plyban it will creat one heck of a vaccuum trying to get the cheese out! I prefer to cut plyban circles for top and bottom and strips for the sides it comes out much cleaner.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
 DJD Thank's for the advise I would have made a mess trying to figure that out
I have been searching all over town for ply-ban but haven't found it in town yet,kind of running out of ideas as to were to look in town didn't want to order on line so i will keep looking around the area for it and use the internet as my last choice, Thanks again  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
I got it in sheets form Glengarry Cheese although they don't call it plyban they call it cheese bandage netting it works great in that type of mold and gets rid of the air bubbles that from around the sides. Words great for all sorts of draining as well and is reusable. I just cut a bunch at once and store them in ziplock bags. You'll fine on side rough and one side smooth - rough side goes down!

http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/accessories.htm

OudeKaas

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
Looks nice HKJ, but hard to get a sense of the scale of this large mold from your photo. I think maybe we need some shots of it in action in order to fully understand . . . . .  . . .!!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:04:38 AM »
I just thought you might want to ost here where you found it and your cultures for others to follow as well. Alway nice when someone else has a good experience with a vendor.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:22 AM »
Make sure you line that mold with cheese cloth or plyban it will creat one heck of a vaccuum trying to get the cheese out! I prefer to cut plyban circles for top and bottom and strips for the sides it comes out much cleaner.
Hey, Debi, I like that idea too! That would really eliminate fold marks.

Hey, H-K-J, I would heartily agree that PlyBan is the way to go. No sticking and no cloth marks on the cheese surface...the PlyBan is essentially flat material.

Good on you for your new big mold!  8)  I think I see a Swiss style in your future.  :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
DJD is this what you mean?
Cheese bandage netting
Re-usable plastic sheet. To use in cheese hoop or mould. Leaves a nice rind on the cheese.

This is mah main man, Steve is a great guy to order from, you order he sends four days and its here (even with the pony express across Montana an Idaho)  ;)
http://thecheesemaker.com/cultures.htm
I want everything he has (well almost) but my wife took away my credit card after my last order  :P
For comparison  I wear a 7-5/8 hat  ;D

Boofer Yup I'm thinkin Swiss LOL

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
DJD is this what you mean?
Cheese bandage netting
Re-usable plastic sheet. To use in cheese hoop or mould. Leaves a nice rind on the cheese.

Yep that's the stuff! Works wonderfully and no marks on the cheese! Almost as nice as a kadova mold Like I said cut the circles for the top and botton and then a strip for the sides. If you make the strip about an inch taller than the mold you can hold it in place while you start putting the cured in and it stays put. Just wiggle the follower a bit to fir it in aroundthe liner and your cheese will be perfectly formed and bubble free!

This is mah main man, Steve is a great guy to order from, you order he sends four days and its here (even with the pony express across Montana an Idaho)  ;)
http://thecheesemaker.com/cultures.htm
I want everything he has (well almost) but my wife took away my credit card after my last order  :P
For comparison  I wear a 7-5/8 hat  ;D

Boofer Yup I'm thinkin Swiss LOL

;D  Yeah that works! We now know how big it is! I haven't ordered from Steve in a long time. He does carry a lot more than he used too. Nice guy. I bought my first two official cheese PVC molds and screw press from hims YEARS ago! I think I used them about 3 times. I always got lop sided cheeses which drove me nuts! He was woking on building a 5 gallon electric cheese vat similar to mine a few years ago. I think he was selling them for awhile. He was disappointed when I told him I needed something bigger than 7 gallons and sent him my setup. He was going to get back to me but I guess he didn't figure it out yet.

GrayTec

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
Hey! Congrats! Make sure you line that mold with cheese cloth or plyban it will creat one heck of a vaccuum trying to get the cheese out! I prefer to cut plyban circles for top and bottom and strips for the sides it comes out much cleaner.

GrayTec has a BLUE disposable (re-usable) cheesecloth available, sizing 14"x45". Contact Anthony for additional information in Woodstock, GA on 678-740-5656.
http://www.graytec.co.za/products/disposable_cheese_cloth.html