Author Topic: Effect of different Rennet types  (Read 2288 times)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Effect of different Rennet types
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
Hello everyone,

This past weekend, I made another attempt at creating a Gouda that would work. If you look elsewhere in this forum, you can see the discussion around my previous attempt which was not as successful as I wished. Probably the most difficult issue was the excessive bitterness of the cheese - even after it was left open at room temps for several hours.

Based on comments here, I decided to try again with the same recipe, but I made two changes:
1.   I purchased a Veal Rennet instead of the vegetarian one I had before. And
2.   I used the flocculation method instead of waiting the prescribed time from the recipe.

While I know that for a fully scientific study, I should only have changed one factor at a time and evaluated the results after each... well...  waiting six weeks or so between attempts was a bit more than I wanted to do at this stage of my personal excitement.

So, this report is of what I noticed so far without the benefit of a taste test.

First of all, I got to a floc point in less than 10 minutes, so obviously I need to use less Rennet the next time. As I was cutting the curds, I noticed that the curds were significantly softer than my previous attempt and the cut curds also seemed much silkier. While stirring and cooking hte curds, they definitely shrank a lot and after the final cooking, they matted at the bottom of the pan much more than my previous attempts. I think this is a good thing.

I drained and pressed the cheese in a mold and after brining, it still weighs in at about 3 lb 2 ounces (I started with three gallons of P/H milk). Below is a picture of it after pressing but before brining.

I noticed that the curds did not come together as well as my previous attempts and there are definite pits along all sides of the cheese wheel.

So, my questions are:
1.   Is the big difference in floc time determined by the freshness of the Veal Rennet that I have?
2.   What is the difference between the Veal Rennet and Calf Rennet?
3.   Aside from breaking the curds apart, what else could I have done to reduce/eliminate the pitting?

My course of action from here on out is to keep flipping the cheese twice daily as it resides in my "cave" and then flip it once daily for a week. Then I will vacuum seal it and wait at least four weeks before tasting it. If I can be so patient...  >:D

Thanks,
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:24:40 PM by MacGruff »

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Effect of different Rennet types
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:14 PM »
4 weeks is not enough time. Give it at LEAST 60 days. 90 is better.

jim81147

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »
Mac , not alot of help for you , but I noticed also when I tried the floc method that my curds were noticeably softer . I have not yet tasted these first tries at using the floc method , but hopefully soon . Did you ad CaCl to your milk ? If not , that may help stiffen your curd a bit. I have found ( in my limited experience ) that when the curds dont knit like they are supposed too , it is usually due to either curds being to cold or not quite enough pressure on the cheese . Also if I am not mistaken calf and veal rennet are the same thing but someone else with more knowledge may correct me

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Aye, Aye! SailorConQueso, Sir!!!  I just have to find a way to be so patient...    A)

jim81147 - Thanks for the comment. Yes, I did add CaCl since it was supermarket milk. I also kept the curd temp within the recipe limits and added hot water as was needed, so I do not think it was too cold. Oh well, we'll see in three months or so, I suppose....

I did not think there is a difference between Veal and Calf Rennets, but I've seen places that sell both (?) which is why I asked...

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Different producers label them in different ways, and produce in different ways. There should be little difference between the two. If there is, it might point to the chymosin/pepsin ratio. Suckling calves slaughtered young (dairy kids, for example) have 100% chymosin. Other calves, up to 6 months of age, have 5-20% pepsin. It makes a slight difference, but not that much practically.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »
There are a couple of reasons why the curds won't knit...

1. not enough pressure when pressing
2. curds not warm enough when moulding
3. curds too acid (pH too low) at whey off/moulding.

OR, just to make things easier, it could be any combination of the above three.

I don't think it is likely to be a rennet issue.

NVD

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »
I have never noticed a difference betweem lamb and calf rennet but I have found a BIG difference with vegetable rennet.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »
yes veggie rennet is my least favourite.  Its a bit light using a flame thrower to light a cigarette.  Some ones gonna get hurt and it will end in tears...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
I don't like it either but on occation I have to get it. It is sold locally and when the bottle runs dry ...  :-\