Author Topic: Making pasteurised halloumi from raw milk  (Read 4695 times)

joelTSL

Making pasteurised halloumi from raw milk
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:51:20 PM »
Hi,

Quick question: If I make halloumi using raw milk, and then cook it in whey at ~95'C for 20 minutes (as described here: https://curd-nerd.com/soft-cheese-recipes/haloumi-2/ ) would that pasteurise the halloumi, or would I need to pasteurise the milk before I get started?

Thanks in advance,

Joel

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Re: Making pasteurised halloumi from raw milk
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:13:37 PM »
I am no expert but, if pasteurization of milk can happen at 161F for 15 seconds , I would think that have your milk at 95C (~200F) for 20minutes would work.  But again, I am a new cheese.  "-)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:32 PM »
Depends on your requirement for the pasteurization.
Legally? No.
If the curd itself (not the whey) exceeds 161°, then it has been effectively heat treated for pathogens. But it's not considered pasteurized since that's mostly a legal definition. 

Same for the mozz you also asked about.

But I have doubts that the curd in either instance is actually achieving 161°+.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
"Pasteurized"?.... No, because that is a defined process.... However, IMO cooking the Halloumi at 95*C (203*F) for 20 minutes would pretty much guarantee any bacteria would no longer be viable.... The slices are at most 3/4" thick and the center after that length of time at over 200*F would easily have reached over 161*F.... Again, JMO....  ::)

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

joelTSL

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »
Thanks guys. This is really helpful!
So if I wanted the cheese to be pasteurised by definition, I'd need to heat the milk to 72'C/161'F and then let the temperature fall before starting the cheesemaking process?
I guess under those circumstances there's more of an argument for using starter cultures?

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 10:41:15 PM »
Are you asking about home cheesemaking? As in pasteurizing because you would prefer to eliminate potential pathogens and competing bacteria?
If so, the best way is to heat to 145° and hold at that temp for 30 minutes. Better flavor and protein integrity with that method. Be sure to leave the stirring spoon in the entire time. I like to cover the pot with aluminum foil as that helps the temp stay consistent after reaching 145°.
161° for 15 seconds also works.
Then cool and proceed with cheesemaking. 

If you want it to be legally pasteurized, you would need a licensed dairy facility, a pasteurizer's license, the proper Grade A (or equivalent) pasteurizer, etc.