Author Topic: Haloumi recipe I have used commercially for 4 yrs  (Read 24882 times)

cheeseslovesu

Re: Haloumi recipe I have used commercially for 4 yrs
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
Debi, that looks fabulous and I might do that tonight with the left over chicken I have in the fridge.

When I was doing the farmers market we had this amazing guy called AJ Duck man. We would swap cheese for poultry and his ducks were amazing. He gave me a chicken that was the size of a turkey. I roasted in on Sunday and it was beautiful.

Our factory closed down officially last week and today is the first day in 4 years I dont have farmers markets to do. It feels like saturday!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:17 PM »
Thanks CLU. This is why Haloumi was invented! Love it this way. Why is your factory closed down?

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »
My business partner (dairy farmers wife) is reopening another factory on their farm with a big tourist, onfarm outlet and cafe/restaurant. They really wanted me to be a part of it but it was too big of a jump for me.

I was totally happy with the small factory, working 5 days a week, making some cheese, doing some farmers markets, networking, attending the occassional food festival... life was perfect.
In two weeks time I start my new business - cheesemaking classes and I already have April booked out. Life will be good again!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »
Ah ok I misunderstood  thought you were out of business!

elkato

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing your secrets!! I think this is the spirit of this forum!!

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
I made chaource out of shop milk last week and a soft lactic acid feta. The feta is fabulous but a runny curd to start with. The Chaource is starting to mould up in the wine fridge. I posted that recipe a week ago so check it out.

I will be trying out a shop milk brie soon so stay posted with that recipe and photos.

Sharing is caring!

MrsKK

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »
CLU - best wishes with those cheesemaking classes!  I've been teaching home cheesemaking for about a year and a half now, averaging four classes per semester and I've learned so much through teaching.  Also have met some amazing people.

Debi, I'm thinking of buying a butcher lamb this year...if you would have occasion to visit Wisconsin, maybe we could meet halfway if you'd like a portion of it, as I'm not sure if we'd want to use all of it.  PM me if you'd be interested.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
Thanks so much for the support MrsKK.
My first class starts in 2 weeks and I cant wait. I am doing a cheese sensory class in Sydney on Wednesday & Thursday so I can now learn more myself.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 02:26:14 AM »
[quote author=MrsKK link=topic=9364.msg68360#msg68360 date=1333695915
Debi, I'm thinking of buying a butcher lamb this year...if you would have occasion to visit Wisconsin, maybe we could meet halfway if you'd like a portion of it, as I'm not sure if we'd want to use all of it.  PM me if you'd be interested.
[/quote]

Thank you Karen you are a sweetheart but I will have to pass! I won't be heading out anywhere this year. Planning on retiring in December so I am saving up my vacation to sell back at the end of the year. Do hope to visit Wisconsin sometime in 2013 though depending on when my full pension starts coming in (there's a 6 to 8 month delay). We will have to meet up one day though. It would be my pleasure to be sure!

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
Just adding an amendment to my original recipe.

When making ricotta out of the haloumi whey, heat the whey to 90C.

I was having a real hit and miss issue with my classes so I read all the information available and took the temperture up a bit. Success and I was in whey ricotta heaven again.

Tomer1

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »
Working great, I think this will be the first time I got my mom to do most of the make for me, its so easy.
And as a reward she got about 400-500 gr of sweet riccota which she loves.

bbracken677

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
What's haloumi taste like? From the look of the make it should be a very mild cheese with a touch of liapase type flavor. Is it similar to a feta, just milder?

Tomer1

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »
I wouldnt call it a cheese really.  Its a dairy product.
It has a milky flavor, lipase wont get you far as the cheese is usually eaten very fresh. (it also freezes well though) and its very sweet as the milk is not acidified at all which is part of its magic.  It browns very well, has a chuwey squicky texture and its tasty in salads.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 07:48:44 AM »
What's haloumi taste like? From the look of the make it should be a very mild cheese with a touch of liapase type flavor. Is it similar to a feta, just milder?

I would thoroughly recommend trying it, although some brands are fairly salty (to preserve it in the warmer climates)
You fry it up till it is golden and is delicious with mushrooms on toast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 06:36:43 AM »
It's great to see comments back on this post.
When I first made cheese over 8 years ago I tried making Haloumi and have never had a failure. It is a cheese you cant kill with a stick, it's very forgiving.
I make and teach haloumi almost weekly and I would describe haloumi as a bland curd that has been pressed and cooked at 90C. Once you add it to salt brine it becomes an ingredient you can add to anything. My favourite recipe is an oxtail casserole that has cubes of haloumi added in the last hour of cooking. Add it to spaghetti sauces, curry (Oh, stop it!) or just as delicious when you make egg and bacon and haloumi for breakfast.

The haloumi takes on the flavours of whatever you are cooking. Try goat milk haloumi then add an extra litre of goat milk to the whey and get delicious goat ricotta - YUM.