Author Topic: 20 days in, experimental semi-lactic PenC ripened looks and tastes good  (Read 1697 times)

anarch

This is one of my small semi-lactics that I sprayed PenC on and let bloom. 

Make was: 1 gallon of raw cow milk, heated to 145, let sit with the lid on for 1 hr. 
Cooled to 86F
Added 1 packet of Cheesemaking.com's chevre cultures.  Let sit at room temp for 12 hrs.
Ladled curd into 6 small chevre molds, then drained the rest to eat as a fresh cheese.
Let the curd drain in the molds, no flipping, for 2 days.
Cheeses appeared to be drained to the touch, so I salted, then lightly sprayed reconstituted PenC on them. 
Into the cooler cave for 8 days, flipping every 12 hrs or so, replacing an ice pack once a day to keep the temp down.  Drying out the inside of the tub too so humidity didn't creep up that much.

We ate one at 8 days when I wrapped them, it was good, but not ripened at all.

We ate one at 11 days, slight ripening under the rind.

Then, let them ripen in the fridge til 20 days, and this is the result at room temp.  Ripening nicely, but not runny, good flavor.  Will probably eat the remaining 2 in the next week.

I'm going to try another batch of this this weekend, but do some larger brie sized molds as well. 

anarch

So, no comments?  OK.  Ah well.  I ate it.  It tasted good.

I have a similar batch molded right now.  Ready to unmold tonight and salt, then do the spray tomorrow.

beechercreature

I have a similar batch molded right now.  Ready to unmold tonight and salt, then do the spray tomorrow.

what's the difference in texture from these semi-lactic kind of cheese vs a brie/cam?

anarch

what's the difference in texture from these semi-lactic kind of cheese vs a brie/cam?

I've made 3 batches of cam.  With those, the paste was a lot more creamy than this cheese.  This cheese was sort of a mishmash of things, that I had milk to use, wanted to make cheese, and only had some chevre starter in the freezer because my next batch of culture hadn't arrived.

The paste inside this is more chalky, like a good crottin or similar, rather than creamy.

The rind tastes the same. 

You can sort of see the chalkiness of the middle paste, and it isn't a characteristic of not enough ripening time, unlike with a cam/brie where more paste ripens out as it ages per se. 

beechercreature

i see. well, it looks good. i'd eat it.

did you use the larger molds on the second batch like you had intended to in the first post?

anarch

Hee.  Sort of?

I intended to use 3 larger cam/brie molds.  But one of them, I tipped, and well, it having no bottom....made a giant curd mess on my kitchen floor with it at 10pm at night (the dogs helped with that, then the mop). 

But yes, I do have 2 larger ones, and again, 6 smaller ones ready to go.  I'll try to take some pics tonight of them and document the next step in this.  Hoping to have some sort of unique to me cheese.  I kind of added some different culture to this batch as well.  So, we should see...