Author Topic: My next attempt!  (Read 5350 times)

linuxboy

Re: My next attempt!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
No need, it'll take care of itself. Remember, cheesemaking works through gradients. Temp in water does not equal temp in curd for a good 20 mins. So if you caught it quickly, it'll be alright. But, you have to be concerned about something else: case hardening. With that fast a rise, the outer casein of the curds has hardened, preventing even syneresis. Cut the curds repeatedly so they are smaller, to open up new surfaces and achieve even moisture levels. gradients in curds of any type must be avoided.

MolBasser

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
I seriously need to get a book on the biochemistry of cheese...

This winging it XXXX isn't gonna fly too much longer.  I need to know what is happening biochemically....

MolBasser

MolBasser

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
I know I could prolly google this, but what is the viable temp range of meosphilic bacteria?

This whole thing is sort of embarassing for a PhD molecular biologist that works in the fermentation industry....

:)

MolBasser

linuxboy

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
there's enough here in past threads that you can understand it. Or read Fox's chapters in the 2-volume work he did.

But IMHO, stick to the basics for now. Biochemistry of ripening and cultures is a far more advanced topic after you master the physics and adopt best practices. To draw a parallel to your other work, that's like trying to figure out strain selection and optimum temp for fermentation when the emphasis should be temp control and tannin extraction during enzymatic conversion. Right now, I would as a starting cheesemaker be concerned with
- How do I ensure consistency by eliminating gradients. This includes minimizing pH gradients and moisture gradients by cutting curd evenly.
- How do use the milk I have to achieve the best outcome? Some milk is poorly suited to some cheese styles. Hence, my recommendation for a wash.
- How do I ensure good control during affinage to nurture a cheese to completion.
- How does calcium affect final cheese texture, and how does acid development affect calcium degradation.

MolBasser

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
Curds cooking...

MolBasser

linuxboy

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
I know I could prolly google this, but what is the viable temp range of meosphilic bacteria?
generally, 65-105F. But, remember, lethality curve applies. 10-15 mins at 110F isn't the end of the world. Will just throw off pH curve due to some death and having to enter stationary growth phase instead of exponential.

MolBasser

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
there's enough here in past threads that you can understand it. Or read Fox's chapters in the 2-volume work he did.

But IMHO, stick to the basics for now. Biochemistry of ripening and cultures is a far more advanced topic after you master the physics and adopt best practices. To draw a parallel to your other work, that's like trying to figure out strain selection and optimum temp for fermentation when the emphasis should be temp control and tannin extraction during enzymatic conversion. Right now, I would as a starting cheesemaker be concerned with
- How do I ensure consistency by eliminating gradients. This includes minimizing pH gradients and moisture gradients by cutting curd evenly.
- How do use the milk I have to achieve the best outcome? Some milk is poorly suited to some cheese styles. Hence, my recommendation for a wash.
- How do I ensure good control during affinage to nurture a cheese to completion.
- How does calcium affect final cheese texture, and how does acid development affect calcium degradation.

This is all good stuff, and goes to the fact that I just lept into making cheese by saying "I can do that" without really thinking about it.

In retrospect, it is laughable that I would think that it was any less complicated than making beer properly.

I have a lot, a LOT of learning to do.

MolBasser

linuxboy

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
It's not so hard in the end. You can do it; it's a good deal of fun :). But you can either follow well-crafted recipes exactly where thought has been put in to help people avoid common mistakes (like the recipes I and others post here), or you can figure out all the intricacies and understand why you are making a decision. Or some combination. Winging it is cool, pretty fun even, but have to ask yourself what are you after? If consistency, well, that's like lab work, and comparable to any fermentation technology.

MolBasser

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
Right now, I'm just winging it.

In a few cheeses I will have learned some stuff and will do it better...

MolBasser

MolBasser

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
Getting ready to drain the curds.

There seems to be quite a large amount of bitty specks that have broken off of the curds.

Is this a symptom of my temperature foul?

MolBasser

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 11:26:50 PM »
Nope it just happens we all have that. Not to worry!

MolBasser

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
Sweet!

Just getting ready to drain the curds.

MolBasser

MolBasser

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 12:21:36 AM »
Beginning the drain.

The two bags of curds draining...

MolBasser