Author Topic: Monterey Jack #1 (my second Jack)  (Read 2095 times)

Caseus

Monterey Jack #1 (my second Jack)
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
This is actually my second Monterey Jack cheese, but it is my first straight Jack.  My objective was to see if I could avoid the problems I ran into before when I made a Pepper Jack recently.  Here is the thread on my first make:  Pepper Jack #1 - poor knit, fissures.   

2 gallons low-temperature pasteurized non-homogenized Jersey milk
3/8 tsp CaCL
3/8 tsp Rennet
1/4 tsp MA 011
1 tsp salt
saturated brine

Added milk to vat and tested pH of 6.6.  Warmed the milk to 88°F, sprinkled on culture and let rehydrate 5 minutes, then stirred and allowed it to ripen for 45 minutes.  Measured pH at 6.45, then added CaCl diluted in 1/4 cup water, stirred, then added rennet diluted in 1/4 cup water.  Set a bowl on top, covered, and began testing for flocculation after 10 minutes.  Flocculation time was 15 minutes.  I used a multiplier of 3 for this cheese, so 45 minutes total time needed before  cutting.  After 30 more minutes, I tested for clean break, and it was.

I cut the curds, let them heal for 10 minutes, then measured a pH of 6.33.  Temperature by now was 85.3°F.   I started cooking slowing to 100°F, reaching it in 43 minutes.  I measured a pH of 6.21.   I then held at 100°F for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.   I stopped stirring and waited 25 more minutes, then performed a texture test.  It didn't mat completely, so I waited another 10 minutes and checked again, and the curds matted and separated nicely. 

I removed whey down to the level of the curds, then drained in a colander, and measured the pH of the last bit of curds and whey in the vat.  It was 5.49.  I let the curds drain for a couple of minutes, then added 1 teaspoon of salt and mixed it in.  This was a totally arbitrary amount of salt, not based on any calculation, recommendation, or experience.  My thought was that a little salt at this point might slow down the acidification of the cheese while being pressed until I could get it in the brine. 

I put the curds in a 4.5 inch diameter cheesecloth lined form, set it in a pot of warm whey, and pressed at 20 lb pressure for 10 minutes, then flipped, redressed, and pressed under whey again for another 10 minutes.  Then I discarded the whey, flipped and redressed and pressed with the same 20 lb for 30 minutes.  Then flipped and redressed and pressed at 50 lb for two hours (I took a break to go smoke a cigar outside owing to the beautiful weather, else it would have been just one hour at 50 lb).  Then I flipped, redressed, and pressed at 100 lb for 12 hours.   After removing it from the press, I weighed it at 2 lb 4 oz, about 1 kg.   I am brining it now, for 12 hours total.

The pH 5.49 at hooping is the last pH measure I could make, as I don't have a way to take a measurement after the cheese is hooped.

This make went much better than my previous Pepper Jack, but I still had a couple of problems.  A couple of times when flipping and redressing the cheese, my handling of it resulted in the opening of a crack on the side.  The height of the wheel is a little greater than its diameter, and I think that holding it off center in one hand while peeling cheesecloth off put too much stress on it.   It was just a little crack, but I did it again when removing the wheel at the end of pressing, so there will be a little crack or two when it's all said and done. 

The other problem was far more severe.  The cheesecloth stuck to the very bottom of the wheel quite badly.  I pulled off most of the bottom surface when I removed it.  I pulled and plyed as gently as I could, but it was very stuck and it just didn't come off cleanly.  You can see in one of the photos.  I have since searched the forum and found the answer to this problem.  Here is a thread on that describes the solution, which is to soak in whey before removal, or spray with vinegar, use a denser cheesecloth such as butter muslin, or use plyban.  Cheesecloth - Cheese Sticking Problem

This cheese is not rock hard like my previous Pepper Jack.  It is softer and more springy.  The pH dropped a bit faster than I wanted, but the pH at hooping was OK, judging by posts I've seen elsewhere on the forum.  I have higher hopes for this cheese as compared to the Pepper Jack. 

anutcanfly

Re: Monterey Jack #1 (my second Jack)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I used butter muslin for quite some time and had no problems with sticking, though others have.  By far, plyban is the easiest to use, clean, reuse and it lasts a long time.   Hope this cheese is everything you hope for.   :)

Caseus

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:44:45 AM »
Thank you anut.  My hope is that this cheese will be at least edible, and hopefully palatable.  I also hope I will be able to recognize how the qualities of the finished aged cheese relate to the ingredients and the process I used, so that I will know what to alter on future makes to achieve the results I seek. 

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
Your off to a great start!  I didn't write down such nice notes on my first dozen cheeses and could have kick myself later!

Beans

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
x2 for Plyban.  I bought a few sheets from Hoeger? something like that, stuff really works great.
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:17 AM »
That happened to me once in a kadova mold what a PITA to clean that up! In a rush didn't pre whey my molds and Whamm!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
That happened to me once in a kadova mold what a PITA to clean that up! In a rush didn't pre whey my molds and Whamm!
Been there...yeah, PITA...big time!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.