Author Topic: Cheddar - Selling in New York State, Using Cheddar Name!?  (Read 5484 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Re: Cheddar - Selling in New York State, Using Cheddar Name!?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »
All that requires analysis by a lab at your expense.  You may have to provide a couple of samples until you hit the standard, and then convince NYS /FEDS that you will be consistant, to me that spells $$$$$.  Personally, (being also a gambler) I would go with convenient labeling, assimilating my cheese to cheddar, unless the inspectors really dislike you, I just do not see this organized take down of you and your product by ag&markets.  They really do not have the time nor manpower, and you are not advocating any missrepresentation, you are just saying that your cheese is similar to the standard.  Or you can call it "wish it was cheddar" in which case, you are not even saying it resembles cheddar, but would definately arouse customer interest, without even remotly infringing any laws.

zenith1

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
I have to agree with everything I have read through this post. However, having read THE RAW MILK REVOLUTION by David Gumpert I would most likely choose Sailor's tact and try first to open a dialog with the inspector with the purpose of educating him(her) to the federal standards. I know that there is a lot of tripping over ones feet when it comes to state rights but it seems the more sane choice. Perhaps another way, although it would be very time consuming, would be to document what the regulations are in  place in the other states that allow raw milk(or other) cheese sales- compile that for your case with the inspector.

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
I am not sure what the issue is here. Not quite getting it. If you want to make a cheese and call it "cheddar cheese", then you must follow and meet the requirements of 21 CFR 133.113. These requirements include standard 60 day aged or pasteurized rule as well as fat and moisture content. If you don't want to call it cheddar cheese, or don't want to have to meet the requirements, then don't call it cheddar cheese.  If you call it something else, you still have to meet one of the other sections, such as the 21 CFR 133.150 catch-all.

If you want to know technical parameters about your cheese, then send it to a lab. Or do it in house if you have a lab on premises. It's not hard to make consistent cheddar that meets the requirements. You can even estimate based on your milk profile (P, F, total solids, etc) and how much whey is drained off during the make.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »

If you want to know technical parameters about your cheese, then send it to a lab. Or do it in house if you have a lab on premises. It's not hard to make consistent cheddar that meets the requirements. You can even estimate based on your milk profile (P, F, total solids, etc) and how much whey is drained off during the make.

That was really my question. If I am consistent then it should result in the same fat and moisture every time.
I realize that I can make cheese call it Emily or Rosie , which I do and not follow any standard except the 60 aged rule.
Thanks as always.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »
Actually, no not exactly because your milk changes throughout the year. That's why there is a range in the standards. Not a problem to hit if you are being consistent.

linuxboy

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
If your consistency approach and process incorporates a flexible workflow that accounts for milk variability (such as by using flocculation to help hit moisture targets, and being consistent in feed), then yes, largely, it's fairly straightforward to achieve cheeses that satisfy standards requirements. The fat standard is mostly there to prevent skimming fat from milk and selling a lower fat, lower quality product and calling it the same.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
I just realized that you are using goats milk. That may be one of the reasons that the inspector is giving you a hard time. Cheddar is not made with goat milk, so you would have to come up with another name anyway.

Tomer1

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide is sometimes used to lower bacterial count (Its a strong oxidizer) in milk to prevent lowering of pH (souring) during storage\transport in extremly hot climates.  after break down the only residues are oxygen and water.
I dont think its widely used though.