Author Topic: My 7th Caerphilly  (Read 3846 times)

JeffHamm

My 7th Caerphilly
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:33:23 AM »
Hi,

As I'm just about to finish my last caerphilly I decided it would be good to get another on the go.  I've got about 3 or 4 different recipies for Caerphilly and generally make one based upon Tim Smith's version.  I've made the one from 200 Easy ... as well.  Both are very good.  One thing, though, is that caerphilly is generally described as crumbly.  All of my makes generally turn out anything but crumbly, so I'm not acidifying it enough.  I had a look and came across Peter Dixon's make, and his has a much longer ripening time than I've usually used.  He also has a 4x floc where I typically have used 3x.  I decided to more or less follow his make because the small cutting of the curd might compensate for the higher floc multiplier, and the longer floc time would progress things further along the acidity curve and may move me more towards a more crumbly result (ok, this was my thinking anyway, but the proof will be in the pudding ... well, in the cheese to be precise but I'm threatening a digression here so let's just say it all looked like it might work).

The make went pretty well.  I was very gently in my curd stirring, so the heat rise chart looks a bit odd.  This is because the water bath heats around the sides of the container, and early on while you're just "jiggling" the curds the warm whey stays around the outter edge of the curd, so you get a slow start to the rise (the thermometer is in a bit from the edge).  Then, as the curds shrink, the warm whey around the edges moves in and you get a temperature spike, then eventually things settle and you get a decent rise.  In other cheeses, where you can break the curds up more, it's easier to get a steady rise. 

Anyway, the curds ended up looking really good.  But, if appearances in the mould so far are any indication, this will come out with a fair amount of moisture (in the 1400+g range is my current prediction, but we'll see).  Peter's make calls for a light salting of the curds after milling (probably 1/2 tbls) but then you brine the next day.  I'm quite happy with the results I've been getting using 2 tbls of salt on the curds and no brining, so that's the one bit I've changed.

Oh, and ST-B01 is Streptococcus thermophilus.  Peter Dixon tends to use a mix of meso and thermo, which I gather helps with stability, so I figured I might as well give his suggestions a fair go. 

I'm curious to see how this one turns out. 

-  Jeff

Caerphilly (Peter Dixon’s) March 25, 2010 Sunny

10 L milk home brand standard
3 ice cubes buttermilk 2 ice cubes ST B01
¼ tsp CaCl 50%
0.6 ml 750 IMCU rennet
Salt (1 % by curd weight, 10-12g) but then brine
Or Salt 2 tbls

1)   Warm Milk to 30.0 C
2)   Add starter (added at 27 C, about 10:10 am; reached 30.0 C at 10:20)
3)   Ripen with starter for 45-90 min. (time 10:20 - 11:43 Temp 29.2 C)
4)   Add CaCl2 and stirr
5)   Add rennet (Time 11:45)
6)   Floc Time (time 12:00:30 = 15m 30 sec 4x = 62m 00Sec so Cut time 12:47:00)
7)   Cut curd into pea-sized particles; rest curds in whey for 2-3 min (12:57 - 1:00 Temp 28.6 C). Whey pH 6.4-6.5 (titratable acidity .13-.14) { I can’t get either of these measures }
8)   Heat while gently stirring curds to 33.9 C in 20 min. (time 1:00 - 1:20 start/End Temp 28.6 - 34.0 C)
9)   stirring curds in whey at 33.9 C with increasing speed as the curds become firmer (so that some curds are always visible on top of whey surface). After 30-50 min., the curds should be firm enough and springy in the hand. Higher solids milk will cause curds to firm faster. (time 1:20 - 2:00 Temp 33.6 C)
10)   Settle the curds under the whey for 20 min. (time 2:00 - 2:23)
11)   Drain off whey
12)   Put curds to one side and tilt pot with curds high to drain more whey (press with 2 Litres whey)
13)   After 5 min., cut the curd cake (2:40 – 2:45)
14)   Stack and change every 10 min for 30 minutes (flip times 2:50 – 3:00 - 3:10).
15)   mill the curd wedges into 1 in. cubes. (I milled a bit smaller than this)
16)   Salt the curds (2 tbls)
17)   Mellow the curds for 5 minutes before hooping (time 3:15 - 3:20)
18)   Pack the curds into cloth-lined hoops
19)   Press with enough pressure so that drops of whey are dripping from the hoops shortly after applying pressure. (at 3:30 put 10 kg = 0.72 PSI; 3:30 – 3:50) – “in the pot”
20)   After 20 min., take off press, turn the wheels and return them to the hoops. Press again at the same rate. (3:55 - 4:25; increased to 15 kg = 1.08 PSI) – “in the pot”
21)   After 20 min. repeat the process. (4:25 - 4:45 but I increased to 20 kg = 1.43 PSI) – “in the pot”
22)   Leave on the press overnight under increased pressure to form smooth rinds on the cheeses. Press room should be 20-23 C. (4:45 - 5:45; 35.2 kg = 2.53 PSI; weight 1564g, 15.7 x 6.8 = 1316 cm3 = 1.19 g/cm3)
23)   Next morning remove the wheels of cheese from the hoops and place in the saturated brine for 2 to 2.5 hours per lb. of cheese. Cheeses ready for brining should have pH 4.90-5.00.
Turn the wheels at least once during the brining period. Brine temp. is 50-55° F. (did not do this as I increased salt amount after milling).

p.s. Make is done.  And indeed, the result was over 1500g.  The curd cake was very large, and one of the few times when it's actually settled and started to fuse into a cake (although I pressed with the 2L of whey anyway to help expell moisture).  There's a bit of a slant, with one side 6.3 cm and the other 7.3 cm in height.  My tower of weights didn't come crashing down because of the duplo support module (i.e. a brace made out of large leggos!  Yes, leggo can do anything).  Anyway, this will dry down to around 1 to 1.2 kg in the next 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:16:51 PM by JeffHamm »

anutcanfly

Re: My 7th Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »
I might try adding salt to the curds instead of brining next time just to find out what difference it makes in the final cheese.

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
Hi anut,

I find salting the curds works really well for cheddar types, of which caerphilly is one.  Not sure how well it would go with a gouda though? 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:10 AM »
Might be fun to try.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:47:56 AM »
Gouda is pressed under the whey you'll loose more than you gain if you salt the curds first. The brine also helps to produce the rind.

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
You would have to mill and salt after pressing under whey and the pH would have to drop lower.  So you would be pressing under whey until the desired pH was reached and then mill and salt.  I doubt the cheese would be Gouda, but it's fun to try to imagine what it would be like.  Oouch, my brain's starting to hurt.  Too early in the morning for thinking...  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »
This one is now at 1237g, so I've vac sealed it.  Normally I cut into Caerphilly by now, but I've got a butterkase on the go so no need to be greedy (note, I said no need, which is not the same as no desire!).  It's looking good, bit of wild geo and such, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.  It will be the next one opened once we finish the Butterkase (so, probably next weekend).  Yum.

- Jeff

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
the Caerphilly I get from the store is definitely not crumbly either. FWIW

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Hey, Jeff, I was wondering...with all the the cheeses you make, is there a cheese style that you are particularly fond of over the others? You've gone through several iterations for most so I would think there might be an inclination in one direction or another.

By the bye, are you running out of room in your storage (re: "cave") yet?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
Hi Boofer,

I'm quite fond of the various cheddar types.  Caerphilly, though I've never had store bought, is one of my favorites.  It has a taste to it that, to me, really makes it a bit unique.  It's the young tang that I like in it.  I really enjoy Dunlop as well, and Wensleydale is good, though my first two goes at it did not result in optimum tests (the first I added sage to, which I've decided I'm not a fan of, the second was wet under the wax and required "saving".  Turned out quite nice, but I think it could have been better).  I've got a 3rd Wensleydale on the go now, and it's looking very promising.  I've made a few Lancashire's as well, the last one of which was very nice.  Also, I've got a Cheshire and traditional Cheddar aging out too.

However, I quite like washed curd cheeses too, especially aged gouda.  The Butterkase I've made is a very versatile make, and takes a b.linens washed rind nicely. 

I've made a few mould ripened cheeses, and they are fun trying to keep the mould development working properly.  Not too slow and not too fast, and working out how to prevent a cheese soup. 

I've got a few others which are long term projects (a romano and manchego both well over a year old now and a collection of 3 montasio's).

Overall, though, I enjoy making pretty much all of them, but most of my cheeses have been cheddars, or of that ilk.  I'm only now venturing into blues. 

I think it's just that I like the cheddars  and washed curds for everyday snacking, while the others I like as treats, so not as frequently since their stronger flavours can start to become too much after you've chowed through a couple wheels of them.

I'm a Jack of all Cheese I guess?  (Hmmm, Monteray Jack is one I've not made yet, but keep meaning to do a dry Jack version ... )

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
Yeah, that narrows it down.  ::)

You are just one wild and crazy cheese guy. Three cheers for that!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
LOL!  I'll have to put an arrow through one of my cheeses now! :)

The problem is, whenever I try to narrow down to one type as to which I like best, I think about what I enjoy about the others. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 02:57:34 AM »
Yep, each type of cheese has a special purpose/place that no other cheese can fill.  I like to have 6 or more different types in my fridge at all times.  :P

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:41 AM »
I'd have to agree. Each cheese style I've made has redeeming qualities not really shared by the others. Hey, anut, mine are all Special too!  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »
Redeeming qualities?  ???  That doesn't sound like the right kind of special--challenged cheeses?  ;)