Author Topic: Bulk milk storage??  (Read 2446 times)

Pooh

Bulk milk storage??
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered many times before but I  can't seem to find the answers from the forum that I need..................

I will need to store cow's milk for 2-3 days @ 120Litres per day= 350 litres max
I presume I can simply add the warm fresh milk to the chilled milk and then pasteurize the lot when I am ready to make the cheese?

In that case what are the bulk milk storage options  that could be open to me? Maybe some of you have a brilliant but cheap way of storing your milk that I have never thought of ....................

Many thanks!

Frotte La Tomme

Re: Bulk milk storage??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
You can pour milk into 40liter milk cans and put them into a cold water bath.   Cheapest one I know of.  The trick is to get that milk to circulate during the cooling down process...

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »
You can build\buy a simple heat exchanger snake (either gravity fed or a fed by a small flexible impeller pump which will cost you about 100$) and put it in ice cold water to quickly get the milk temp down for storage.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »
you really don't want to pour warm milk into cold, so avoid that if you can.

Priestman

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
Tricky.  That's a lot of milk.  Consider bagging it.  2mm gussetted plastic bags with twist ties in a refrigerator.  It's cheap and flexible.  Good luck.

Paul
THE BIG FARM Creamery
http://www.thebigfarmcreamery.com/