Author Topic: 15 Gallon Parmesan #9  (Read 6653 times)

Likesspace

Re: 15 Gallon Parmesan #9
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »
Carter and Wayne.....thanks for the laugh. That cracked me up.

Carter......
That is impressive. Maybe even worth the wait!
In my opinion it simply could not look any better than it does and I think that the white blotches, really give it a good parmesan look.
Also, the designs are fantastic. Looks as if you got a perfect press on this one.
Fantastic job. Wow!

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »
LOL with Wayne.

Chili of course I have no proof, I'm american I don't need proof my word should be....well that's another conversation all together...LOL

I just notice this batch particularly the lipase had risen in one spot to the top. And I've always had blotchy parms and the parms are yellow I suspect from the lipase. For my 15 gallon batches I use 2 teaspoons.

Tea

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »
Well done Carter, and I still am envious of those followers.  So what are you going to do with all the parm?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:49 AM »
Since it takes a minimum of 10 months to age and I use a lot of it in cooking. I'll just keep making it and aging it. I'm going to try for some 5 year and more.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
Just an update, this cheese is doing fantabulous. It's still in the brine until Saturday, but no cracks, still one solid mass, nice tight curd knit. I'll post pics when it comes out of the brine.

I'm starting to take different kinds of notes in my recipe sheets. Such as how much whey got expelled at different stages, so if a new batch is not releasing enough I can look back and see if that's normal or maybe I drained too much or not enough. I always press with the same regiment so that's not an issue. Also I take close up high res pics every few days of all my cheese when I go to turn them so if I see a surface defect I can go back and see if it was always there. I love digital cameras, no cost no matter how many pics you take. I'm also taking notes on my aging procedures. So after a few weeks I'll be sure on how to air dry without getting cracks or excess whey during aging.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »
I hate to toot my own horn, but this Parm is PERFECT. No surface blemishes, aside from one I got trying to push it back in the mold after flipping. It's outside is hard no cracks or decay. The color is uniform, nothing leaked out and my brine is as clear as water. I'm very very happy with this cheese. This is why we make and make until we get it perfect. The embossing is crystal clear too no erosion. Here are some pics.

Likesspace

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »
Carter...
I think you have just produced the best looking home cheese wheel I've ever seen.
I'm not joking.
That is perfect.
Congrats!

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 10:39:15 PM »
These pics really don't do it justice, in person it looks beautiful.