Author Topic: Appenzeller  (Read 8965 times)

linuxboy

Re: Appenzeller
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
If you can, add some rhizomes. Part of that spicyness of Appenzeller is from all the compounds of the rhizomes (galangal, tumeric, etc). I just went and tasted a few drops of Angostura and I think it's missing a few dimensions of flavor and aroma, but it's in the same family. Maybe squeeze some ginger root and add it in?

If we could get Appenzeller bitters, I bet that would be even closer. Are they available in the US?

mightyjesse

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
I have galangal and ginger both, and can add them to the brine along with the bitters. They won't ship the Appenzeller Alpenbitter to the US from any of the sites I've seen that carry it... :(

ED TO ADD: And now that I think about it... I'm also aging a very strongly ginger mead in my brewing cabinet... I might just decant a bit of that to add to the mix. It's been seasoned with a bit of nutmeg, cinnamon and clove that may also add to the spicy profile...

tinysar

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 03:57:02 AM »
Hmmmm. I'm rather inclined to think its the saxifrage for two reasons:

1. Go up about half a dozen posts and watch the video I linked... I was having trouble identifying the cut green herb still that appears as the last teaser of the "secret ingredients." But it totally fits your description of saxifrage.
2. This recipe comes from a modern sales website in the US. They are selling the mixed version of this recipe if you are not inclined to mix this up yourself... I doubt they're peddling anything with opium in it for that price...
Yes, I was joking about the opium. And from the description, the Burnet Saxifrage sounds like it would fit in nicely with the other flavours. I just meant that the modern-day "Theriac" is basically just a bitters mix anyway.

But regarding that video, do they actually say anywhere that the herbs and spices filmed are the ones that go into the brine? It just seems bizarre that they would say "the ingredients are a great big secret, known to only 2 producers in the world" and then show them all neatly labelled!  :o I had just taken that section of the film to be stock footage of "herbs and spices".

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 04:10:57 AM »
Well they didn't show all the labels just a teaser!

mightyjesse

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
But regarding that video, do they actually say anywhere that the herbs and spices filmed are the ones that go into the brine? It just seems bizarre that they would say "the ingredients are a great big secret, known to only 2 producers in the world" and then show them all neatly labelled!  :o I had just taken that section of the film to be stock footage of "herbs and spices".

The group of people that I was discussing the notion with toyed with the idea that it was stock footage as well, but being as what we can see in the video matches up with what we know of the flavor profile, and there are clearly more bins of spices in the room than the ones shown in the video. PLUS, they don't say a word about proportion or mixing technique... We decided that the herbs shown were likely correct, taking into account too that most people aren't as cheese obsessed as we are, the video was in English and the bin labels were in german, and for some herbs there wasn't a label at all...

Just think about cheese. EVERYONE KNOWS that cheese ingredients are milk, salt, rennet, and lactobacillus cultures... The only difference between a cheddar, a gouda, and a skyr is procedure... But it makes a heck of a difference in the end product!

Offline philipc

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • To Cheese or not to cheese.
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
There are a few German, herbal drinks that can be substituted for the Swiss variety are; Kuemmerling, Underberg, and Meyers Bitter.
Underberg can be found at most liquor stores. It comes in little  1/2 ounce bottles.

http://www.kuemmerling.de/index.php
http://www.underberg.com/de/sub/weltweit.html
http://meyersbitter.net/

linuxboy

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
Thanks, Philip; brilliant! I hope some commercial cheeses come out of this discussion. Flavor differentiation is one of the cornerstones of artisan cheese startup profitability as we break the 4000+ cheese type mark for various cheeses that artisans make in the US. There's a great deal of unexplored territory here, and IMHO this type flavor R&D work should be a core strategy for the next wave of startups to take our craft to a next level of excellence.

mightyjesse

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
I'm aging one going on a month now with bi-weekly scrubs of angostura with concentrated ginger, white wine, and b. linens mixed in... It's just started to pink/orange up...