Author Topic: Hi from Alabama  (Read 5489 times)

Captain Caprine

Re: Hi from Alabama
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 12:36:08 AM »
Don't worry that will make plenty of cheese (unless you are Carter).  I have 3 gallons of goat milk going on the stove right now myself.
Good luck!
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 12:40:11 AM »
CC, you sure are lucky to have goats, the only time I tried it was a simple Chevre with Store Bought Ultra-Pasteurized Goat's Milk and I couldn't get a good curd set.

stuartjc

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 12:54:12 AM »
I am guessing that 2 gal skim milk + 1 qt heavy whipping cream should give me about 1.5 - lbs of farmhouse cheddar....?

Likesspace

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 12:56:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
I did 2 gallon batches of cheese for my first two years and then finally decided to try 3 gallons. That turned out well so I bought a new cheese vat and moved to 4 gallons and then 5 gallons.
Right now I'm sticking with the four to five gallon batches since they fit my current molds very well, but I have dreams of moving up to Carter size batches (or beyond) one day.
Everytime I give my dad one of my cheeses to try, he asks when I'm going to start selling them. I honestly can't think of anything that would give me more satisfaction but at this point I just don't feel that I'm ready to take that "next step".
Okay, I'm rambling.....
My point is that I am getting better at making cheese with each batch and a large portion of that success is directly related to the advice that I've received on this board.
This is without a doubt the best cheese making site on the internet.
Good luck with your cheese making.

Dave

stuartjc

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:51 AM »
thank you for the encouraging words, Dave: this confirms that I made the best choice in registering for *this* forum  ;D

Captain Caprine

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »
John,
I am a bit spoiled I guess as I have never had a problem getting a good curd form their milk.  I do wish I had access to some cows milk though.  My wife and I are toying with the idea of a dairy cow but we are a bit space limited at this point and I don't know how the Highlands would put up with a new cow now that they rule the North pasture.
CC

Captain Caprine

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Stuart,
How is it going with the cheese.  I have decided to tempt fate by making cheese on the left burner, wild boar chili on the right and just opened a bottle of my 05 Cabernet.  This is usually a recipe for kitchen disaster but no guts no glory 8)
CC

stuartjc

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 02:06:29 AM »
Hi CC,

just coming to the end of the ripening process. I will post here later with results  :)

Captain Caprine

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 02:10:31 AM »
Cool
Im draining curd

stuartjc

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 02:55:33 AM »
I have added the rennet substitute, and am waiting on tenterhooks  :o

wharris

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 03:00:44 AM »
For those not from Alabama

(lol-  I will admit to having to look that one up.....)

:)

stuartjc

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 03:07:31 AM »
 ;D

question for the experienced cheese makers: can I use Kosher salt instead of the special (-ly expensive!) stuff from the supply company...?

wharris

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 03:18:05 AM »
You can from an Iodine perspective, but its less than ideal from a surface area/salt volume ratio perspective.

You do not want to use iodine salts like mortons because the iodine kills good bacteria.

Most Kosher salts are big grains, and if you are using it to directly salt the curds, you will have better salt distribution with smaller grains or better yet,  flaked salt.

stuartjc

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 03:24:15 AM »
thank you, Wayne - I will pay careful attention to my salt  :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 03:57:19 AM »
Stuart, just FYI but I built a Salt info webpage, you'll also pages there on Salting Curds & Making Brine.

As Wayne says, no Iodine, Kosher salt has big grains, I find standard Canning/Pickling Salt works great, cheap, local grocery, I've never mail ordered "Cheese Salt".