Author Topic: Hi from Alabama  (Read 5487 times)

stuartjc

Hi from Alabama
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am Stuart, a complete novice cheesemaker! I moved to Alabama from Edinburgh, Scotland in 2005.

I am a major foodie, including pairing food and good beer... which is why I was dismayed to find out that AL is one of 3 states that restricts the ABV in beer to 6% or less  >:(, which is why I am heavily involved in www.freethehops.org

I am married (coming up to 9th anniversary), owned by cats, and mainly read science fiction and fantasy. And McGee on Cooking!

chilipepper

Re: Hi from Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »
Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.  Many of us here also are homebrewers as well.  I would find it hard to exist in AL with the ABV restriction.  That is really a pretty odd law.  I have a high gravity barleywine brewing right now at a little over 12% ABV.  That will be next years winter warmer! :)

Once again welcome and if you have any questions this is the place.  Keep us posted on your progress!

stuartjc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »
thanks, chili!

Just for added laughs: homebrewing is illegal in AL, too....!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »
REALLY Homebrewing...that sucks. But I'm sure you partake as it would be impossible for anyone to find out.

I've never been but would love to get some property in the Highlands and retire to Scotland.

Anyway, welcome.

P.S. What took you from Scotland to AL?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:31:22 PM by Cartierusm »

stuartjc

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »
Carter, you may change your tune after one Scottish winter... it's milder than Canada, shall we say ;)

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
What, Homebrewing... Illegal!  Well maybe you could bribe the revenuers with cheese! :)

stuartjc

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »
I can see I will enjoy hanging out on this forum  ;D

As part of Free the Hops, I am working to change the ABV cap - this year is our 3rd attempt. We nearly got it done last year but we got bogged down in the senate.

There's a group of home brewers trying to reform their side of things, but this kind of change takes *time* in Alabama. *sigh*  :(

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:43 PM »
Not sure what  Canadian winter is I'm in San Francisco, but I love the cold. It could be below zero and I'll be in shorts and a t-shirt, I wear it all year long no matter how cold it gets. I was in the shop with the door open a few weeks ago with no shirt at it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit inside...and I was sweating. I have a very high metabolism...or is that botchulism?

stuartjc

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »
"Botulism is bad, mmkay?"

;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
"Fit Like" (means Howdy in Aberdeenese) Stuart and welcome to the forum!

Good luck with making cheese, there's a Cheesemaking for Newbie's Sticky Post that a few of us contributed to.

I believe you are the first member here in Alabama USA albeit with a Scotish accent ;D, so I just added an Geographic> USA > Alabama Board in case you or anyone wants to use it :).

Coincidentally my next door neighbors here in Houston are from Alabama, nice people.

Erin

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Hi Stuart and welcome.  I'm in New Orleans, but many of my relatives live in LA (Lower Alabama) and I may retire there. Property tax is really low there. Are you in lower, middle or north Alabama?

And on the topic of cheese, have you made any yet?

stuartjc

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
to: cheese head John: my very own sub forum?!!? Coo, I feel honoured! Aberdonians are nice people, albeit sometimes hard to understand  ???

to: Erin: I am in Birmingham, so central AL. This weekend I will be making my first ever batch of cheese, with a kit purchased from leeners.com - a farmhouse Cheddar  :)

Tea

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.  Keep us informed how the cheese turns out.  Some pics would be great too.  Hope everything goes well for you.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »
Hi Stuart,
Welcome to the board.  Please keep us informed as to the progress of your righteous crusade against  the draconian repression of the Alabama legislature. 
Power to the homebrewer!!!
CC

stuartjc

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
got my first 2 gallon batch of combined milk and whipping cream slowly heating up on the stove.  :o

I realised that my "huge" stock pot is only big enough for 2 gallons + 1 qt  >:(