Author Topic: Penicillium glaucum  (Read 2108 times)

tinysar

Penicillium glaucum
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this mould? Apparently it's the blue mould in traditional Gorgonzola and the American "Classic Blue Log", among others - but I've never heard of it before. Some papers seem to use the name interchangeably with P. roqueforti, while others distinguish between them. This blog( http://cannundrum.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/cheese-bleu-dauvergne.html )  for instance, comments that Bleu d'Auvergne may be made with either PR or PG, but believes the latter gives a milder flavour.

Is it a different beast? And if so, does it have a different character?

linuxboy

Re: Penicillium glaucum
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
Is it a different beast? And if so, does it have a different character?
Yes, and yes. With blues, you have options for the rate of proteolysis and degree, as well as rate and degree of lipolysis. As well as other characteristics such as salt tolerance, oxygen needs, etc. All of these properties are helpful when creating a cheese to achieve desired flavor and texture profiles.

tinysar

Re: Penicillium glaucum
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:25:21 AM »
Fascinating - cheers for the info, linuxboy. I'm very fond of blues, so it's great to learn about an alternate-but-similar blue mould. I guess this one'll have to be harvested from a cheese though, as it doesn't seem like any of our cheesemaking suppliers stock it.