Author Topic: Monty's Gouda #2  (Read 1241 times)

Monty

Monty's Gouda #2
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
Tried my second Gouda this weekend.  Very pleased with results...

Lessons applied from Gouda #1 -
1) curds should be cut smaller (about 1/2 inch) (curds were a little too big (wet) first time around)
2) transfer curds to mold quickly...while still warm (better knit)
3) hand press lightly several times to get all the curds in mold (could not get all my curds in the mold last time...though the extras made a tasty snack)
4) during final press, turn every several hours (last time I just let it go 12 hours and the very top of my cheese dried out)

Weight was perfect for two gallons - 2lbs on the nose.  Gouda #2 joins Gouda # 1 in cheese cave for drying.

beechercreature

Re: Monty's Gouda #2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
looks great, as does the press. did you build it?

Caseus

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
Nice looking cheese.  If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of your mold?  I plan to make my first Gouda in the near future, and I'd like to go for a similar height and diameter.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »
Monty that is a nice looking gouda! Take care of it now! Nice press too!

Monty

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments all...I'll take good care of it.  The hardest part is going to be the wait to eat.  I need to just keep reminding myself, "the longer, the better""

Beechercreature - I did make the press...if interested, I can create a separate post with more pics.

Caseus - the mold is 4 1/2 inches wide by 5 inches tall.  Its the small hard cheese mold from: http://www.cheesemaking.com

beechercreature

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
Thanks for the comments all...I'll take good care of it.  The hardest part is going to be the wait to eat.  I need to just keep reminding myself, "the longer, the better""

Beechercreature - I did make the press...if interested, I can create a separate post with more pics.

I'm a sucker for pictures.  ;)

I plan on building one more sooner than later, so I'd love to see another build.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Good job, Monty! And for your diligence, self-education, and improvement in technique...a cheese to you.  :)

Now we wait....

No you don't!  :D What's next on your cheese agenda?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Monty

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
...if interested, I can create a separate post with more pics.

I'm a sucker for pictures.  ;)

I plan on building one more sooner than later, so I'd love to see another build.

Beechercreature - just dropped several photos of my press on the Equipment - Forming Cheese section of this forum. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9448.0.html 

Enjoy and good luck with your own construction project!

What's next on your cheese agenda?

-Boofer-

Boofer - the game plan for the next few months is Gouda, Gouda, Gouda!  I want to improve my skills there before moving on to other cheeses.  Longterm, looking at parma and brie/cam....then take a break to loose all the weight from eating so much cheese!!!

beechercreature

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
thanks Monty. they look great.