Author Topic: Ash - How To Make  (Read 12437 times)

Bella

Re: Ash - How To Make
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Hi Tea
No, I haven't tried it yet - have had so many jobs to do that it is on the back burner - I hope to try it over Easter when I have some visitors. Have located a shop in Gympe where I can buy the tin, but haven't been into town as yet to pick it up.

Yes, I had exactly the same feeling when I received my packet of Geo a week or so ago. Interestingly, when I first looked some months ago, it was $40, so perhaps they've cut the volume down by half to sell it!!!!!??

The cow is coming along nicely, and thanks for asking. She has recovered so well - almost a miracle because I was feeling really depressed at the possibility of having her put down. I started milking her at the weekend (only once a day so as not to overwork her nutritionally) and I now have milk coming out my ears - it's a pity you are so far away - it would be nice to share it with another cheesemaker!

Tea

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
It's only about a nine hour drive  8)

If I could I would.

Bella

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 06:36:45 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and purchased some ash from NECS, after pondering whether to make some myself. The exercise was a little daunting, particularly when I had no idea of the quality of the outcome. So, purchasing some gave me an idea of what the finished product should look like, taste like etc, and if I decide to go ahead and produce some from burning wood, then I have something for comparison.

The ash arrived on Tuesday last week, and on Wednesday there was a Brie that I had just made and could use an experiment, so went ahead and covered 5 of the 6 cheeses with a thin layer of ash. One was left without as a comparison. The photos below show two of the cheeses following coating, and the second shows the cheeses as of today with a growing white mould covering much of the ash.

Sure am looking forward to tasting these little gems!!

Am also experimenting with a morbier – stay tuned!

B