Author Topic: An Esrom  (Read 1619 times)

Cloversmilker

An Esrom
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:30:27 AM »
Here's an Esrom I just opened.  It's a 5 pounder made with raw milk from the 200 cheeses esrom recipe in early December.  The milk was inoculated with b. linens, and I washed it sporadically for a couple months and then turned it every so often.  (True confessions of a casual cheesemaker.   ::)) It had its own container since it was a little too stinky for company.  I had battled back the fuzzies with vinegar just before cutting it.  It's good, it's good.   :D  It's a bit strong, and perhaps a little dry.   It's all good, even the rind.   ^-^

Threelittlepiggiescheese

Re: An Esrom
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »
I dig it! :) did you use red wine vinegar?

Caseus

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:58:11 AM »
Yes, that is lovely. 

You said you battled back the fuzzies before cutting it.  Was that the b. linens, or some sort of mold? 

I wonder how the commercial cheese makers package their washed rind and smear ripened cheeses so that there are no fuzzies when the customer buys the cheese?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:15:41 AM »
That a very nice Esrom. Interesting color too.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »
There was fuzzy white/gray mold on it before washing with white vinegar.  The color in the photo is a bit deceptive.  The rind does have some of the linens red/pink/salmon color, but it is really more brown than red.   This Esrom taught me one important thing:  I am not good at diligently tending rind.  Just too many other things to do in the day and the cheese rind gets neglected.   :o   It didn't help that my daughter complained about the smell every time I opened the container.  Apparently she has a very sensitive nose.  She could detect the open box from anywhere in the house.  Too bad that I love b.linens cheese.  Well, anyway, along the way it was washed with various liquids.  Sometimes brine, sometimes vinegar, a little red wine, and cognac once or twice.  Umm, I am certain that commercial cheesemakers are more diligent about the rind tending.  I'm sure that helps with mold control. 

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »
Very nice!

Next time keep the gray. It's good for it. Just brush it back. No need to kill it.