Author Topic: Yoghurt Making - Frozen Milk  (Read 1679 times)

cam_bert

Yoghurt Making - Frozen Milk
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »
Hello,

I'm about to have a go at making yoghurt and have got some Unpasteurised Goats Milk which was frozen.
After defrosting a bottle, it has completely separated - so I'm left with fat and water. Is it possible to still make yoghurt with this previously frozen milk? I'm guessing not very successfully if at all.
I would really like to make homemade yoghurt, but unfortunately I can not get a source of fresh / unfrozen goats milk.
I have heard of people making yoghurt from frozen milk however I wonder whether it completely separated after they froze it. From what I have read it seems the more fat content the milk contains the more likely it is to separate when frozen.

Thanks for your help!
Cam_bert.

Kaiser Soze

Re: Yoghurt Making - Frozen Milk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:22:32 AM »
Did you end up making yoghurt with this, and how did it go? I have a couple of bottles of goats milk in the freezer for some feta, as a bit of a test to see how well it works. We've definitely made yoghurt with frozen cows milk before, but it hadn't separated so different situation. It worked fine though, so the freezing process for cows milk definitely doesn't do anything detrimental to the milk.

As an aside, can you not re-homogenise the milk with a stick blender or something similar?