Author Topic: My first adventure in beekeeping  (Read 16959 times)

susanky

Re: My first adventure in beekeeping
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
hahah! What timing!  My brother just sent me this photo a few minutes ago.  He just picked up this swarm.  I was out with my Mom at the time who was none too happy to learn that it was HER bees that had swarmed (means no/much less honey this year).
Susan

beechercreature

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
very cool!

MrsKK

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
Right now they are feasting on apple, pear, and plum blossoms.  Plus trees are blooming - maples, willow, etc.  Over the summer they will have dandelions and other wildflowers.  I'm planning on planting more bee balm, calendula, snapdragons, etc.  Adding lots of flowers.

While I don't care for buckwheat honey, I'm planning on planting a stand of buckwheat just for the bees - I'll harvest the honey (IF I get to this year) just before the buckwheat blooms.  That way, the bees can have that honey for their over-winter stores.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
Hi Karen, welcome to the beekeepers club. I also started last year with a topbar and a commercial langstroth. It is amazing to see these little creatures working. I am hoping I will get nice honey in summer time.

Here are some pictures of my topbar hive.

MrsKK

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
Great photos!

In comparison, which hive type do you prefer?  Or should I say, which did the girls seem to prefer?  I've got a Lanstroth style hive, but have been thinking about building a top bar hive so I can have a second one.  I'm just not sure if it would stay warm enough for the winter here, though.

I could stand and watch them coming and going from the hive for hours, I think. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
Wonderful diversion from cheese, Karen. Nice dialogue. Thanks for sharing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »
Thanks, Boofer.  I'm just glad I got these girls installed in the hive when I did - which was Sunday.  Wednesday night, I woke up at 2am to check on my cow, knowing she was getting close.  She was in full-blown labor and needed assistance.  We had a little heifer born at about 3am.

Now I'm back in the milk and making cheese again.  Nothing too exciting yet - I made yogurt and set up some cottage cheese today.  I may make a big batch of lactic cheese tomorrow and convert some of it into a Velveeta-type product.  Yes, I have to shamefully admit that I like that stuff.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:25 AM »
Wow, you've got it goin' on! Long days, huh?

Congrats on your bouncing bambino heifer.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »
Yeah, but I'm grateful to not have to be working outside the home anymore - or should I say, to be self-employed, because I do housepainting and teach classes through community ed.  At least I get to direct my schedule.  So I take naps when I've been up all night.

I'll have to post the calving saga - it was quite the night.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
Boy you sure have been a busy Mama! Bees and a new calf wonderful!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »
In comparison, which hive type do you prefer?  Or should I say, which did the girls seem to prefer?  I've got a Lanstroth style hive, but have been thinking about building a top bar hive so I can have a second one.  I'm just not sure if it would stay warm enough for the winter here, though.

They build their nest to anywhere and adapt. Through my readings of natural beekeeping, I settled on Warre type hives. It seems Emille Warre is the only one who studied cluster sizes and how they grow. I am building 2 new Warres this winter get it ready for spring. You can get all the information from http://warre.biobees.com/index.html. but the roof will be Roger Delon type. Have a look through the link I gave you, you will understand what I mean. For the wintering keep the walls minimum 3cm thick without changing the inner dimensions. I am trying to get 3.5cm to provide good insulation.

Topbar is also good, I am going to give mine to a friend here after the split.

Good Luck

anutcanfly

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
My ex-husband kept a hive in the house with a vent to the outside, and with glass sides so you could watch them work.  I'd love to do that some time.  He has a recording of 5 queens singing.  It's really awesome!

wez

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »
go to you tube and type in my nick name of hedgerowpete you will find loads of videos i have done to help tech people beekeeping, pete

MrsKK

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
Life's so crazy busy right now, I'd love to do more reading and researching.  I've got plans for a Tanzanian top bar hive that I think I will build to fit the medium frames that I'm using in my Langstroth.  That way, they will be interchangeable.

weaverlorelei

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
I am new to the cheese forum and just saw this as ancillary post.
We've been herding bees for a number of yrs now.  Last year was HARD, because of the severe heat and drought here in TX.  We allowed our tiny charges to keep all of their honey since there was NO flowers available for their stores.
I am thinking of using some of the honey as a coating for some cheeses, just as an antiseptic rind wash, maybe to add another flavor component.
Good luck with your herd