Author Topic: Reluctantly...Fourme d'Ambert-like  (Read 19403 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Reluctantly...Fourme d'Ambert-like
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:38 AM »
If you have tried the cheese without the wine, you should be able to detect a difference. You continue to amaze me, Boof, with the time you take to record everything! Either a Virgo or Capricorn, I suspect ): I am wondering why the blue veins are just in the punctured holes...I normally punch on the sides as well as the top and bottom. This cheese is quite soft, so needs to be out of its box every other day to promote the air to circulate. The fact that you felt it was heavenly is the best review--congrats!
Capricorn...you are some detective!

The cheese was very moist. In the end, I am glad it was so moist. It was pierced on the ends and along the sides. It was then later injected on the ends and on the sides. I removed it for its airing every other day. I was tempted to do so more often, but managed to control myself. You can see that the main cheese in this make is a lot drier.

You know, some folks here think a blue cheese needs to be overwhelmed with veining in order for it to be a success or just a tasty treat. I beg to differ there. Some of the best-tasting blues for me have not been saturated with blue. I sampled this cheese again today (couldn't keep away) and it was again gone before I knew it. This was a 4 gallon make and did not include this cheese form at the beginning. Now I am rewriting the recipe downsized to 2 gallons to accommodate two small Bucheron moulds. I want to attempt an intentional duplication of this little piece of magic. Of course it will be injected. I'm considering a change though...all raw milk.

The effort that it takes me to record some specific events or images for later posting is minimal compared to the historical value I get (and your kudos ;)) so that I can go back and review the progress of a particular make. I take and have a lot more pics than the ones I select for posting. What can I say, digital photography rocks!  8)

Thank you and those of the other members for your kind words. You're the one who gave me the encouragement to inject.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:46:16 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
If you make two from the same batch next time, then I would suggest injecting only one of them.  That will give you one for comparison to determine the effect of the wine on the cheese maker .

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2012, 06:39:44 AM »
Ah, yes...like a control in an experiment. Then I should consume what I would have injected into that second cheese. Brilliant, Jeff!  ;)

Now that gets me thinking that I should go ahead with the full four gallons, fill the two small Bucherons, and put the remaining curds into two small Kadovas. Yeah, that should work.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
I wonder how interesting it would be to inject a ruby port wine or sherry.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
Well, they do make a cheese with port. Might be interesting. It seems like it would be worth trying at least once.

Seems like the technique works as long as you don't overdo it. As I said, I'm still curious how the larger cheese will turn out. Probably another two weeks before I cut it.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
I decided that this needed a little extra air this morning...so I pierced it again. The holes closed again as soon as I withdrew the knitting needle. The paste is very creamy. I think it's a good decision to stop injecting when I did. The additional air it gets for the next two weeks will help to dry it out a little and help to enhance the blue.

I removed those little rings of paste...very tasty.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
Ooooo!  That's going to be so good.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
Well, it was time....  8)

I needed more shelf space and needed to cut this today. It had been weeping wine out the bottom every time I went to turn it. Surprisingly, the paste was not exceptionally wet when I cut it. The blue seemed to be a little lighter than my Fourme d'Ambert #2. That's okay with me. It was sufficient to get the blue message across. The first taste appeared a little acidic and had the essence of the Vouvray. Further tasting either allowed my tastebuds to accommodate the complex flavor or that was just an anomaly in the paste. I sectioned the cheese and vacuum-sealed smaller portions for stepped tastings down the road, and also sliced a little for my brunch. I went out and grabbed a portion of FdA #2 to taste along with this cheese for comparison.

This cheese has a distinctive rind developed with the assistance of the volunteer B. linens that came on board. I had washed the linens off and the rind was very tasty today because of that action. That makes a great case for letting a rind development take place but then removing the rind action later and stopping the rind activity. The presence of the wine also influenced the rind development. I enjoyed both of the Fourme d'Ambert cheeses but I'm not so sure I would do the injection again. I think I preferred the clean brined rind without the linens involvement and I don't know if the wine addition was so noticeable.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 12:26:32 AM »
Very nice marbling, especially the left side piece with the apples.  That looks very photogenic.  Nicely done.

- Jeff

T-Bird

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »
That's one of the prettiest cheeses I've ever seen Boof. I have never seen a fourme d ambert so I can't comment on the authenticity of the appearence. I can go to the local Whole Foods, if they have one, I would be willing to buy it, taste it, and if you would send me a LARGE piece of yours, I would be willing to give you an honest appraisal and comparison.-What a guy-huh?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2012, 05:37:01 AM »
Such a selfless gesture.  ;)  You can come stir the pot at 4:30 tomorrow morning.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
I think Im ready to start injecting some port and an artificial ice wine into my dambert, veining is enough to my taste.

How many mL per kg of cheese would one aim for?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2013, 01:35:06 AM »
My mouth is salivating :P
A cheese to you ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2013, 06:59:22 AM »
Thanks for the cheese, H-K-J.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
Big fail, I got some hypodermic needles and I cant compress the plunger at all (too much counter pressure).  Is the paste too dry maybe?
What kind of needle did you use?