Author Topic: 3rd Cheshire #58  (Read 1525 times)

anutcanfly

3rd Cheshire #58
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
My new ExStik arrived and just out of curiosity I ran this make using both my Hanna and the new ExStix.  The Exstik seemed to take longer to settle than the Hanna, but I'm not sure that either one did better.  Exstik was easier to use  after the whey was drained.

This make's pH took a nose dive after draining, same as last time.  Next make I will stick to the recipe and drain after letting it sit 40 minutes, even though the whey pH is still 6.4.

Per Jeff, I remembered to giggle at the freshly cut curd.  The subsequent jiggling stirred the curd with minimal shattering.  Thanks for the tip Jeff!  ;)

4/5/12

Third Cheshire #58

Floc 3.5
Drain 6.3 -6.2
Mill/salt 5.6
Yeild: 4 pounds, 6 ounces

4 gallons raw Brown Swiss cow milk,  Exstik pH 6.61, Hanna pH 6.7
½ tsp MA11
¼ tsp x3 rennet (diluted in ¼ cup water)
1/8 tsp annatto (diluted in ¼ cup water
3 ½ tsp salt

Warmed milk to 86 degrees, added cultures and let sit 5 minutes.   Stirred it in and let ripen 40 minutes.  Temp 84 degrees

Add annatto and stir in.  Add rennet and wait for floc.  Floc in 8 minutes x 3.5 = 28 minutes.

Checked for clean break after 28 minutes, then cut curd into ¼ inch cubes.  Let rest 5 minutes, then dip off 1/3 of the whey.  Temp 84 degrees, Exstik pH 6.55, Hanna pH 6.7

Warm curds to 88 degrees taking 1 hour to do so. Temp 88 degrees, Exstik pH 6.43, Hanna pH 6.5

Cover pot and let sit 40 minutes.  Drain when pH is 6.3 to 6.2.  After 40 minutes temp was 88 degrees and Extik pH was 6.44, Hanna was 6.4.  Let sit another 20 minutes.   Still not there, let sit another 20 minutes.  Hanna pH 6.3, Exstik 6.32, temp 88 degrees.

** next make drain after letting sit 40 minutes as per recipe.  The pH in this recipe takes a nose dive shortly after draining, so draining at 6.4 would be appropriate.

Drained whey and pile to side of pot.  Press with hands several times over next 30 minutes.  Cut mass into 4 chunks and continued cheddaring for 20 minutes. Hanna pH 5.3, Estik pH 5.21.  Stopped cheddaring and began milling and salting the curds.
pH ½ hour after hooping, Hanna 5.0, Exstik 5.07.

Pressed at 36 pounds for 30 minutes.
Pressed at 112 pounds for 1 hour.
Pressed at 204 pounds overnight

JeffHamm

Re: 3rd Cheshire #58
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »
Nice!  A good jiggly giggle never hurt anyone, except the brain surgeon's patient - and this ain't brain surgery so go for it!

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:48:31 AM »
 ;D

Caseus

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
Those are some interesting variations in the readings between the two pH meters, anut.  Sometimes Hanna is high, sometimes ExStik. 

Are they both flat electrode style meters or bulb?  What made the ExStik easier to use? 

More importantly, are you finding that measuring pH helps you any?   Or is it too soon to say?

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
Exstik has a flat probe and the Hanna has a round probe.  I can use the Exstik to measure curd so that's easier to use after draining they whey, but the Hanna needs to have whey to work and the reading is further removed from the curd.  I think the up and down thing going on is due to the ExStik taking so long to finish.  It keeps changing even after it stops flashing leaving you unsure which measurement you should use.  The one when it stops flashing to indicate it's done.  Or the measurement you get if you leave in past that.  I'll keep working with them both until I get a better understanding of what's going on and can take myself out of the equation! 

My cheese making has improved dramatically since I start taking pH measurements!!!  It's definitely worth while. 

dthelmers

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
I believe that the prolonged flashing of the ExStik is because it's adjusting to the temperature. I've noticed it stops flashing when the temperature indicator agrees with my thermometer. I compensate for this by keeping it in some warm water so that it doesn't take as long to adjust.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
Thanks!  I'll pay attention to the temp and use warm water as you suggest!  I wouldn't have though of that too quickly as the Hanna stabilized its message on pH long before the temps finished.